Additions and subtractions…

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Been a few changes around here. Son bought a new house and now has the Redfoots…leaving me with the Sulcatas and Leopards, the Easterns and the others. But I have a new addition. While at the beach after a storm…found a probably year old Eastern Mud turtle. It had been washed into the parking lot by the storm and was probably in the broiling sun for a few days. How he didn’t get run over is amazing. When we found him…he looked dead. Limp, no movement, emaciated, dehydrated and covered in red ants. We put him in a Tupperware container with a little water…slanting it so his body was in water but his limp head was out enough to breath. By the time we left…he was hydrated enough to show a little movement. Here he is a week and a half later…

Attachments

• 5EB3601E-1ABD-40D6-BF9C-2DF899EAC60B.jpeg
    5EB3601E-1ABD-40D6-BF9C-2DF899EAC60B.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 28

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! Good job!!! (They're so resilient)

Skip K

Virginia
Wow! Good job!!! (They're so resilient)
There is some Deja Vu afoot here, Yvonne. Maybe 15? years ago…same beach…same parking lot…and again after a storm…wife found a baby Eastern Mud turtle there. Not in quite as bad of shape but smaller. The one we recently rescued is little over a inch and a half long…the one from long ago was about an inch long. We kept that one for a few years until it reached about 3 inches then released him back into the sound where he came from on another vacation. Where we stay is pretty much like it was in the 50’s and the place we stay ( land mass) is very narrow…maybe a hundred and fifty yards from sound side to the ocean. Sand dunes on both sides. I personally cannot take a beach with hotels bordering the ocean and massive amounts of people and traffic. Wildlife abounds where we stay. Wife named this turtle after the town we stay at…Buxton