Adding Plexiglass to my tortoise table

Zoeee2426

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Hey forum!
I have a 1 year old Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise and she lives in the tortoise table that i have shown in the picture. The tortoise table is great and she loves being able to look out and see what we are doing.

However, it has recently came to my attention that her shell is starting to pyramid ever so slightly and I believe this is due to lack of humidity that she has. I really want to sort this out as quickly as possible to prevent it from worsening or so it can be reversed. I have done some research on how to increase humidity in a tortoise table and I am aware a tank would be better for her but that is completely out of my budget so I saw that tables can be modified with plexiglass to retain humidity.

I am aware that plexiglass can melt, warp and block uvb so i do not want to cover the table completely. My question is, will having the area that i have shown in the picture covered in plexiglass increase humidity in anyway? I would also like to know all of the pros and cons and safety risks with plexiglass and tortoises.

Thanks for the help!D786724D-56B1-4F00-8C12-E26F76F952A7.jpeg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
how is the light being hung? i think you would need to cover more of the enclosure which you would probably do in a few different ways depending on how your light is hung.

what type of bulb do you have? does it emit UV?

Last edited:

Zoeee2426

Cornwall, United Kingdom
how is the light being hung? i think you would need to cover more of the enclosure which you would probably do in a few different ways depending on how your light is hung.

what type of bulb do you have? does it emit UV?
This light is hung from the built in lamp stand that just goes slightly off camera there. Yes the bulb emits UV, it is an exo terra sun glo mecury vapour bulb. Thanks for the help!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I am leaning towards something like this to cover the enclosure entirely: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JKZ5TSV/?tag=

and you have the frame to securely hang the light on if you need to.

the thing is, if you cover the enclosure in the area you indicated, the humidity would probably just escape from the open area next to it. If you are tight on money, I can tell you don't even bother with the plexi and use tin foil or a shower curtain to cover the top. I used to cover my lamp openings with tin foil to avoid the humidity and heat from escaping

but before you increase the humidity in there, make sure you get a thermostat to monitor the temperatures. worst thing is increasing humidity when the environment is too cold.

Last edited:

Zoeee2426

Cornwall, United Kingdom
I am leaning towards something like this to cover the enclosure entirely: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JKZ5TSV/?tag=

and you have the frame to securely hang the light on if you need to.

the thing is, if you cover the enclosure in the area you indicated, the humidity would probably just escape from the open area next to it. If you are tight on money, I can tell you don't even bother with the plexi and use tin foil or a shower curtain to cover the top. I used to cover my lamp openings with tin foil to avoid the humidity and heat from escaping

but before you increase the humidity in there, make sure you get a thermostat to monitor the temperatures in there. worst thing is increasing humidity when the environment is too cold.
Thanks so much for the help! I have been looking for something like that cover that you linked so that is really useful ??