Adding Another Tortoise

Nickolas

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I learned that you should not keep two sulcatas, so I am going to add a third. The two I already have weigh about 130 grams, and the one I am getting is about 70 grams. The one I am getting is a sudanese, and the two I have are both Mali. Do you think there will be any issues with size?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I learned that you should not keep two sulcatas, so I am going to add a third. The two I already have weigh about 130 grams, and the one I am getting is about 70 grams. The one I am getting is a sudanese, and the two I have are both Mali. Do you think there will be any issues with size?
How are you planning on housing 3 adult Sulcatas in Pennsylvania in the winter?

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
I won't be living in Pennsylvania in 9 years. I will be moving to Florida. While in Pennsylvania they will have my entire attic which is fairly large. If I need to, I can use the basement as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I won't be living in Pennsylvania in 9 years. I will be moving to Florida. While in Pennsylvania they will have my entire attic which is fairly large. If I need to, I can use the basement as well.
In 9 years they will likely all be 80-100 pounds. They will probably all be fine as juveniles, but you may run into issues as they near maturity (around 14 inches) if any of them are male. If more than one is male, you'll have a serious problem. If only one is male, he will need to be separated from the females as he will harass them incessantly.

Don't forget that you need to quarantine the new guy and run diagnostics for at least 3-6 months, during which time the other two should not be living as a pair.

I think you should separate the two, and wait until you actually get to FL to get more. In the next couple of years, you are going to realize the severity of the problems you are dealing with. Having only two will make things much easier than dealing with three active growing destructive giant tropical reptiles in your climate.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Trust me - 9 years away is a very very long time away. Our six-year old Sully is pushing weight well over 100 pounds now & is as solid as a boulder. Three Sullys in your attic realistically won’t work (unless your attic is equipped with an elevator, running water & really humid). Attics (at least here in MD & I’m originally from PA) are just not set up to be hot/humid spots with water troughs, soaking areas, wet substrate, etc. Your basement area can be made to work for Winter time. Just providing some, “been there, done that“ advice. It ain’t easy - and I have just one monster. I can’t imagine doing this for three. Good luck!

I would say, keep your current holdings to one Sully. When you move to Florida, you can expand your herd!

Havent even addressed feeding three during Winter.!

I’ll tag another PA sully owner @vladimir - see what he has to offer as well.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
One sulcata in PA is a challenge. I can't imagine raising three. You would likely need a huge heated barn.