Adding a Hermann's Tortoise to the family.

Laura9219

Location (City and/or State)
ONTARIO
Hi everyone,

I am doing research on the hermanns tortoise to see if they are a good fit for me. I would appreciate any pros and cons you can share. I'm also having a hard time finding a reputable breeder around Toronto.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura9219

ONTARIO
Hi everyone,

I am doing research on the hermanns tortoise to see if they are a good fit for me. I would appreciate any pros and cons you can share. I'm also having a hard time finding a reputable breeder around Toronto.

Thanks,
Laura

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
You should definitely get a Hermann's! You'd need a 4x8' space for an enclosure for a full grown tortoise.

Here's the care that would be required for one:

As for finding one, I would contact CandC tortoises. It's not clear where they are located, but they seem to have quite a variety and will ship anywhere in Canada. I believe they post stuff here occasionally, but I can't find their username. @Krista S may also be able to provide contact info for a breeder; she's out west I believe.

Moderator, could you combine the two threads @Laura9219 created into one?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Laura
Hi Laura,

Welcome to the forum! I have a 2 year old Eastern Hermann’s tortoise that I got as a hatchling at 3 months old. I am in Saskatchewan and bought my little guy from a breeder in Northern SK. Actually, yesterday was exactly 2 years since I brought him home. Getting my tortoise (named Dozer) was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my adult life. He has been such a joy and I am still fascinated by him everyday. The pros about Hermann’s are that they stay on the smaller side compared to some other species. One important thing to note though, is that even though they’re small, they require a lot of space. My 2 year old is in an enclosure that’s about 7ft x 4ft and he uses every bit of it. It is recommended for full grown Hermann’s to have an enclosure size of at least 8ft x 4ft. If you are getting a baby it’s best to start them in a closed chamber enclosure so that you can keep heat and humidity dialed in. Back to pros and cons. Another reason I chose a Hermann’s tortoise is because as adults they don’t require high levels of humidity like some other species do. They have incredible personalities and can be quite personable. You will be amazed to see how they have their likes and dislikes and they’ll find a way to tell you. Once a Hermann’s is established and growing at a good rate, if you have their environment right, they’re pretty hardy little guys. They’re just awesome and a gorgeous looking species. As for cons, I honestly don’t have any negative points for a Hermann’s tortoise. I haven’t once thought that I wished I had gone with another species. For me where the pros and cons come in is when deciding if you want a baby hatchling, juvenile or adult. In Canada, babies are easier to get but they require a lot more daily care and they’re fragile. I was a nervous wreck for the 1st year of my little guys life. With that said though, it was a very rewarding experience and I’m glad I did it. I’m in my 40’s, not married and don’t have kids so it was easy for me to be able to devote my life to Dozer.

As for breeders, I’m not aware of any in your neck of the woods, however I have a friend who got her hatchling Hermann’s tortoise from https://allreptiles.ca/ which is in the Toronto area. She had a good experience and her little guy is thriving. When my friend got hers, they told her it came from a breeder in Saskatchewan, so we figure it has to be the same lady I got mine from. I haven’t looked to see what they have in stock now, but there could be another batch of babies yet this season if there aren’t any right now.

There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about tortoise care. I highly recommend ignoring what you may have read on other websites and go with what you learn here. I’ll attach some helpful links you might like to check out.

First is a care sheet that was written by one of the tortoise forum members, @Tom, based on his decades of experience. I still refer to this care sheet from time to time to refresh my brain…there is a lot to take in.

This next link is one that I wish I would have known existed before I got my tortoise. There’s a lot of helpful hints and food for thought in here:

The only other website outside of the forum (in my opinion) that is great for reliable Hermann’s tortoise info is Hermanni Haven aka Garden State Tortoise. Chris is a member on the forum here and he also has a YouTube channel that has excellent content.

I will leave it here for now because I know this is a lot of information to absorb. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you might have. ?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
@wellington or @Yvonne G This is the other thread. I just put a big reply to Laura on it, so please don’t delete it lol.

Laura9219

ONTARIO
Hi Krista S,

Thank you so much for all your information. I have never owned a tortoise so I really appreciate the advise.

Thank you!

Laura