Active times of day

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi all,

I am new to this. I have had 3 previously severely neglected MEE's for only a couple of days, and they are not in their final enclosure yet, so we have not yet developed routines, and they are clearly still recovering from the stress of being moved and spending lots of time in transit earlier this week. They are also not in as comfortable'er surroundings as they will be after a weekend spent working on their enclosure.

All that considered, I have not seen this info in care guides or on info websites, but how many active hours, approximately do you expect to see in a day?

I woke up mid morning (after working til the early hours) and it was apparent they had been very active earlier on. The temporary wallowing station was very dirty (a good sign) and the majority of the food I left out last night had been devoured. I also had to clear up an immense amount of healthy looking poop. In the hours since then, they have each gone out and had a little explore, but returned to the various places they spent last night. They are asleep for the most part, occassionally waking up, adjusting their position and perhaps moving to another area for another nap. They are making very strange choices when it comes to prime napping spots.

It is rainy season here, but it has not yet rained today, so it is not too hot and not yet wet.

Should I be expecting them to do much more exploring than they are? They have spent most of the last couple of days sleeping.

Thanks!

2monte

Wilmington NC
If they are stressed they will perfer to hide/ sleep more than they normally would. Try not to handle them too much while they are adjusting to there new home. It's normal for them to be active for only parts of the day. Poops and eating are a great sign that they are adjusting to there new environment. Just double check the care sheet for anything you might have missed and make sure your temperature and humidity are good.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
If they are stressed they will perfer to hide/ sleep more than they normally would. Try not to handle them too much while they are adjusting to there new home. It's normal for them to be active for only parts of the day. Poops and eating are a great sign that they are adjusting to there new environment. Just double check the care sheet for anything you might have missed and make sure your temperature and humidity are good.
Thank you! They were much more active today. I gave them the run of the garden under the supervision of my partner as I was working on the enclosure. They were happily scampering around for a good few hours. Despite there being a whole lot of undergrowth for them to hide in, two of them felt more comfortable going into the concrete garage and wedging themselves between the wall and the front wheel of a motorbike. As I said, very strange choice of napping spots.

IMG_20210123_154703.jpg20210123_200017.gif