Active on first day, now not so much

Bunny Ears

Location (City and/or State)
Key West
I'm wondering if this is what's going one with the 10 year old male sulcata acquired a week ago. On the first day he was here, he got so excited when he saw all the grass to eat in my yard, he was active, ate a ton. On day two, he still seemed fine, even ate some salad greens from my hand. Then, day 3, I didn't see him eat all day, he didn't want his salad. The following day, he ate most of a salad, but then yesterday and so far today, nothing. He's not moving around as much as he did when he first got here, just enough to move into sun or shade (I live on a tropical island) and he seems nervous, hissing at me and taking steps away if I go near. If he's not hungry because he's foraging, he's managing to do it only doing it when I'm not looking.

My understanding is he was mostly getting fed cabbage and fruit in his old home. I don't think there was much natural forage there, so a more grass-based diet alone is a major change. At his old home, he could go under the house. Here, he's got plush foliage to hide under, but I'm thinking he needs a more proper "hide" (I'm thinking half a garbage can.) I haven't seen him touch his water dish or my pond, but his old owner said he never soaked or drank.

I'm sure this is all a huge change for the poor guy, new house, new owner--I'm at least his 3rd that I know of. But how soon before I panic?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you describe is normal behavior for a tortoise that has been moved to a new home. When you first put them out in their new environment it doesn't occur to them that they won't be able to go back into their original 'safe' place at night, so they're active and eating. But once it dawns on them that they're here to stay and they can't get back to their original home they stay hidden. He will eventually come to realize that he's in a safe place with no harm coming to him, and he'll once again be out and about. Just give him time.

I don't think a garbage can is good enough. He needs a place where he can get out of the heat. I have actual sheds for mine, but anything you build should be under a tree in deep shade. A dog house in the sun is actually an oven.

Bunny Ears

Key West
Thanks, Yvonne, that's what I'm thinking too. It's just so hard to not fuss over him!

He's chosen the spot he wants his burrow, it's completely covered with big, low leaves, when he's in his spot you can't even see him. I will think of what to put there for him for better shelter, maybe my carpenter friend can do a little house.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If you can make him comfortable in his environment he may not burrow. My Sulcata do not burrow. Also, he does not actually hiss. He is afraid of you and his new place now, so when you walk up to him you heard the noise of air rushing out as he pulls his head and legs in... stay here and join us in our conversations about tortoises...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You said you were on a tropical island.... what are the temps? I know it’s warm there but if warm is in the 70’s, he may not be warm enough...???? I am not geographically knowledgeable so I’m asking, not telling... lol
Would love to see pictures:)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You said you were on a tropical island.... what are the temps? I know it’s warm there but if warm is in the 70’s, he may not be warm enough...???? I am not geographically knowledgeable so I’m asking, not telling... lol
Would love to see pictures:)
She said Key West Florida...

Bunny Ears

Key West
Thanks guys! I can't wait to see what his personality will be like once he settles in. Like I said, so far he's nervous and sulky, but his former owner said he was very docile, that his 3 year old neighbor could hand feed him no problem. I've noticed he's very disciplined, puts himself to bed at precisely 445pm, lol. He has a very inquisitive gaze, and it cracks me up that he never goes around anything, but rather barrels right through it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I used to have pictures from a friend, of his Sulcata going thru 3/4" sheet rock...they are so much fun!!! Here's the shed that was put together for my 125 lb Sulcata who is dead now... I have 2 Sulcata in it now...095.JPGnow...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I just had a thought...(yeah, I know)...we give a lot of advice for hatchling or young Sulcata...but not so much for larger ones...it's the big Sulcata that are a challenge to stay one step ahead of, they are destructive, Bob always made me laugh with his antics, they are easily entertained if you want, and don't care if ya don't. I think as well as trying to give good advice on keeping small Sulcata how about some stories about your personal trials and tribulations on keeping bigger tortoises...no...not the elite Aldabs and Galops...but the 3rd largest tort in the world...the smart, big personality of Sulcata!!! I don't have enough photos of Bob left...but I have 2 growing Sulcata...Somebody, or me, should start a thread like that..Oh man, Denny Hamlin just hit the wall gotta go see....

Bunny Ears

Key West
Anakin still doesn't seem too interested in food or exploring, but by this afternoon we should be up from low seventies (yesterday) to high seventies, so hopefully he'll perk up. Day before last he ate some of the salad I offered him, plus I saw him take a bite of a starcluster flower in my yard. I didn't see him forage yesterday or today. I haven't seen a single poop yet. He basically moves out of his burrow around 830am, hangs out in just one part of my 900 or so sq foot yard, then crawls to his sleeping spot shortly before 5pm.

Today I gave him a big hay pile in his sleeping spot enough for him to burrow down into, I hope he likes it. I'm waiting for my carpenter friend to get over the flu to build him a shelter, I'm not handy like that. I worked on making his mudpuddle a little bigger in case he can be enticed into drinking.

I love the idea of more info here for dealing with the big guys. For mine, I've ordered a dogtag which I will attach to his carapace in case he busts out. I've even included some nonsense on it saying "GPS tracking ID #Jh780009 " which may or may not make any possible thieves think he's been implanted with a tracker (I know there's no such thing, but do thieves?)

I've also put a sign on my front gate saying "CLOSE GATE! PETS IN YARD."