Sydneu

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Louis
My AC is broken and they're waiting on the part to fix it, but for now, the house is hot. I turned off his lamps and heaters, close all the blinds, and have two fans going on in the room at all times but the temperature never dips below 80°F and goes as high as 91°F. Any tips to help cool him down? So far he's been burying himself in the dirt, but when he does that he doesn't eat anything during the day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those temps really aren't bad for any species that I know of. Soak every day in warm water.
What species and how old/big?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Russian Tortoise!
Great!

Those temps are fine as long as the room air circulates...your pet may be burrowing as a mild form or aestivation where the reptile body slows down in response to excess temperatures.

But. What I would do is provide some ambient light so that there is no confusion in his brain about day and night. Use one of your lamps with a regular household bulb that is the new efficient LED type. This will provide a full-spectrum light that may restore some of his activity level without adding to the room temp. The most effective uvb radiation bulbs are also "cool" (the long tubes), so that is also an option.

Do pull him out daily to check him over and give a room-temperature water soak for 20-30 minutes so there is no dehydration.

Keep us updated...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My AC is broken and they're waiting on the part to fix it, but for now, the house is hot. I turned off his lamps and heaters, close all the blinds, and have two fans going on in the room at all times but the temperature never dips below 80°F and goes as high as 91°F. Any tips to help cool him down? So far he's been burying himself in the dirt, but when he does that he doesn't eat anything during the day.
Those are my temps year round. Turn his lights back on. He's fine.