Absorbant high-humidity layered substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Currently in my tort table I'm using cypress mulch. I like it in a lot of ways and so far its been the best substrate I've used, but there is one thing that really bothers me about it. When I wet it down it doesn't soak up the water. I pour my water over top, then if i dig up the mulch I can see a big puddle of water sitting on the bottom. Not sure if this is because the mulch I'm using is too course or what, but I'm not a huge fan of having standing water in my enclosure.

I've been thinking that I would give a layered substrate a shot. That way I could get the best of both worlds. Some sort of "absorbant" layer underneath the cypress. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that Mark suggests the bioactive substrate, which I'd be interested in hearing everyone's experiences with that as well (also,how deep does the substrate end up being?). But other than the bioactive substrate, does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe Coco-coir of even sphagnum peat moss (not the long-fibered, but the coir-looking stuff), but I'm open to suggestions.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Bioactive substrates work best at about 3" or more thick, but 2" works fine i a smaller habitat.

If you try to layer your stuff, it will be trickier to stir the substrate every so often. I don't get a lot of standing water in the cypress in the Tortarium, but I a.) can see through the sides how wet it is, which makes it easier to regulate, and b.) have heating cables in there that I WANT damp so they spread heat more evenly and create humidity.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use cypress mulch, I pour water over it and mix it up with my hand and I never have standing water left. The mulch always absorbs the water.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
As you already know, I like the bio active so far, but its not for someone that freaks out about creepy crawlies, cuz they're there (in small quantities).

I'd think of standing water in the bottom as good. If the water is actually soaked into the substrate, it will also tend to not let the water out, which can lead to mold/rot etc. and it will be wet against the torts underside, that's the problem with coco fiber stuff. If the substrates actually holding little to no water, and keeping the tort elevated above the water table, that's fabulous as the evaporating water will be humidifying the air from underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.