Kingsley7

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
More than likely, what happened is a sharp piece of something (food, wood, whatever) poked through the inside of the mouth and it scabbed over. Now there's a foreign body in there and the tortoise's system is walling it off. I doubt antibiotics by themselves will help the tortoise. The medication will keep the germ growth under control, but whatever sliver caused the abscess in the first place should be taken out of there.

Start saving up your money because this really needs to get done.

Is it possible that the foreign body is no longer there anymore and that there isn’t as great of a need to get it removed? If something was able to slice the inside of his mouth I can’t imagine it still being lodged in there based on his behavior... he’s been eating like crazy and gaining weight, I would assume that with a splinter of sorts he would be physically irritated and less inclined to eat, which is not at all the case

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Is it possible that the foreign body is no longer there anymore and that there isn’t as great of a need to get it removed? If something was able to slice the inside of his mouth I can’t imagine it still being lodged in there based on his behavior... he’s been eating like crazy and gaining weight, I would assume that with a splinter of sorts he would be physically irritated and less inclined to eat, which is not at all the case
Would the VET not be able to see if there was still a foreign body in there via an X-Ray? Do you really want to take a chance?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Think about it: If you got a wooden splinter under your skin that you ignored. How long would it take for that little piece of wood to decompose?

Kingsley7

New Jersey
I finished his antibiotic treatment this week... he’s now hovering around the 90 gram range which is over 20 gram growth from when I first started treating him. I’m going to give it a few weeks and see if his confusion deteriorates the way it did before starting the treatment, if it does I’ll take further measurss

Kingsley7

New Jersey
Update after a few months.... my sulcata is now 130 grams, eating and growing like a weed, he’s very healthy and active and no longer has the cyst like bulge on his cheek. He’s now a very healthy happy sulcata and in the bullet proof stage.