About to add tortoise to family ... Help!

SonLovesTort

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia, USA
My son has been fascinated with tortoises for months and we're finally going to get one. After reading about them at great length, I was thinking a Hermanns tort sounded best - but just the quickest read on this forum has me wondering if we should get a Russian instead? I saw many strong suggestions for Russians when another newbie asked what to get.

We are in virginia, so tort will need to be inside much of the time.

Also, should we start off with the wooden box I see everywhere or use a 30 gal tank? I will not be building anything for the tort to live in anytime soon, so I have to buy it. We are getting a very little tort .... My son envisions a baby and I don't want anything that will get big. The box looks practical - at least for a couple of years - but how will I heat it? I don't think aquarium is ideal, but I like the set up someone showed me, including a heating pad under half of it.

I want this as simple as possible - I'm alone with 2 sons, ages 9 & 11 - my plate is already quite full but I do think we can handle a tortoise.

Thank you all in advance!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Russian tortoises, like most tortoises, are very busy critters. In the wild, they travel good distances to get the food they need. So, in captivity, they need plenty of room. The bigger the better. Hight isn't of a great concern, it's floor space. If you have a feed store near you or a nearby town, check for animal water troughs. They tend to have a good size and don't need to be built.
Well done you, cultivating a kinship with critters in your boys! Welcome to the forum. Hop over to the introductions section and introduce yourself proper to us. We're all a pretty good group of folks here.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Russians are great tortoises with lots of personality and they are very hearty. A baby or hatchling tortoise requires a lot of specialized care so I would suggest getting an adult. stock tanks work great, they are waterproof and sturdy.as previously stated go for floor space rather than height, 12 inches deep is sufficient. tortoises need heat from above not below. I would suggest a mercury vapor bulb in an 11 inch ceramic fixture. You can get the fixed your cheap at Home Depot. this bulb gives you UVB and heat all in one.be wary of information you get from pet stores, usually it is all wrong.this for him has all the information you will need. Check out the Russian tortoise section and keep asking questions. Welcome to the forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Tortoises are expensive and not the throw them food a couple days a week and they will be fine like some people think. They need fresh food daily and expensive heat/uvb lighting and depending on the species, night time heat. Also substrate hiding places, etc and babies need daily warm water soaks. Both the Hermanns and Russian are good beginner torts. Many have waisted money on those premade wooden boxes, and we're sorry they bought them. Buying two of them and connecting them together would give good space for a couple years or so. The trough suggested is a good idea, also,Christmas tree storage boxes that are available now is another option for the cold months with an enclosure for summer months. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

The feed trough idea is a good one. Also, pay attention to all the supplies Wellington has listed for you. Buying the tortoise is the cheapest part of the deal. Getting all the necessary supplies is quite expensive.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I bought a Leopard tortoise for my son in 2008. He has since moved out and i have 6 Leopard tortoises now. I love all of them, but this is not an easy pet to care for. Russians are somewhat easier tha Leopards, but still require a large commitment to thrive. Best of luck to you. This is a great place to get all of the help you will need.

SonLovesTort

Virginia, USA
Thank you all for the warm welcome! My name is Dana & my son who is getting a tortoise is Bowen. He's 9 and though he'll one day take great care of his tortoise friend, I realize I'm committing myself to providing longtime care to our newest family member.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A tortoise can probably be outside about half the year.

Have you considered a box turtle? They are small, charming, and native (not sure what the possession laws are, though) and suited to outdoor living & hibernation all year.