About finding a Vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I live in Ohio, Conneaut. And have recently bought (today) a Ornate Wood Turtle.
After buying him I found out he is Wild Caught. (Never occured to me to ask)
However, I am thinking about taking him to a vet just to get him checked.
He seems and acts healthy, but of course I am no wiz at knowing.

But I do need help finding a vet who would could look him over.
Or at least to know of one for the future. Should I have just asked the pet shop? (Which is in Erie PA)
Or what? Conneaut phone book has nothing listed and the only one that is dosen't do turtles.
Also, what would be the price of just a check anyway?

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
i just took my desert tortoise to the vet for the first time. i didn't have the experience i was hoping for. before committing to any meds or treatment, i'd get a second or third opinion. don't get rushed into any treatments. ask plenty of questions, and make sure they answer them all. even question their answers!

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That's just it, I woulden't even know what to ask!
Which is pretty bad in itself. haha.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
i would explain the turtles background. tell him/her it's wild caught and i'm sure they'll know what to look for. when they explain something to you, make sure you understand or keep asking until you get it. i'd look up common health problems with that exact type of turtle, and ask some ornate owners their experience. good lcuk!

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thats another thing, I been researching Ornates, and Turtles in general, but it seems really hard for me to find anything direct on the turtle I have, that is, for health problems.
Everything else I can find.

And as for anyone who has Ornates, I do not know anyone :(

As of right now the guy won't eat, must be because he is in a new home. Store said 7 PM est is usually the time it eats.

Another thing I find painful to find is, how long before he gets settled??? (at least for all turtles/torts in general) If he don't eat, I get worried.
Specially since I do not know what to look for. I can understand the first day he may not eat, but how long before it might be something else? You know

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Silvers24 said:
Thats another thing, I been researching Ornates, and Turtles in general, but it seems really hard for me to find anything direct on the turtle I have, that is, for health problems.
Everything else I can find.

And as for anyone who has Ornates, I do not know anyone :(

As of right now the guy won't eat, must be because he is in a new home. Store said 7 PM est is usually the time it eats.

Another thing I find painful to find is, how long before he gets settled??? (at least for all turtles/torts in general) If he don't eat, I get worried.
Specially since I do not know what to look for. I can understand the first day he may not eat, but how long before it might be something else? You know
I believe what you have is a Rhinoclemys pulcherrima manni.
This is a semi-aquatic turtle meaning it needs a area of deep damp substrat and an area of water to soak in. It is an omnivarous eater that goes crazy over earthworms. It eats fruit, greens, and invertebrates such as worms an insects. I have one that was a rescue given only pellets and the worms got it eating normally.

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hm
Ok. So I should try worms first eh?
He won't eat again, of course I did catch him in the water (from the looks) eating his own waste...
Had I not read that was not normal I would of been worried. But still, eating his own crap is not going to keep him fed.
Guess i'll dig up some worms. How many should I feed him? In one feeding? Don't want to underfeed him or over feed.

And yes, all damp all deep substrate, he loves to "wear" it.

And before anyone says, I change the water once a day. I have to, he also loves to bring what he wears into the water.

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
100_1427.jpg

100_1425.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My Ornate Wood Bianca
011.jpg
What is your substrat? I use an organic hardwood mulch mixed with leaves and sphagum moss. I just dump the worms in and let her hunt and dig for them (they are fairly intelligent and need the mental stimuli). I also give her greens and soft fruit. They also need a low light enviorment (they are a forest animal).

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use that Bed A Beast, that stuff you add water to and such. He seems fine in it? He loves to dig in it and throw it up on his back anyway.
Ok. So that will be easy as far as worms go. Should I just dig em up? Or just buy them?

What type of greens? Pet Store said they love Romain Lettuce, as for fruit they told me a varitey of what they would eat.

As for lighting, all the light is on the side oppisite to the water. For heat I have a 100w Ceramic Bulb there too, water is heater warmed (around 76/80)
Also the lilghting is two 13w Repti-Glow 5.0 UVB bulbs.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Bed A Beast shoul be fine. I dig worms in warm part of year and buy at bait shop in winter. Putting them in substrat allows them to be a constant food source. As for the greens I use dandilions, plantain weed, wood violets, and hawksbit. Store bought greens are collard, mustard, and turnip, I have fed romain though this is not an ideal green. Fruits such melons, peachs, plums, and mango seems to be special favorite rare treat. For light I would go with a single 5.0 UVB and save the other for replacement. Heat seems fine though I wouldn't use use an aquarium heater in that volume of water because risk of overheating or shattering (turtles are rough on furnishings), if you do use one get shatterproof or put a pvc sleeve on it.

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alright, so I am doing good for the most part.
The heater is fine, it auto turns off, at about 76 degrees. I check myself anyway to make sure the water is fine.
And I also thought the same thing, didn't want him near it, so it's "hidden" (sort of) under the bridge. You can sort of see it.
He can't get to it.

Now more questions, since I got his constant food source down, when are good times to feed him the fruits/greens?

Sorry if I seem extrmemly dumb, but if you don't mind, I like to try and do what others have so I know I am doing it right. (Specially since you own the same specie I do.)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I normally feed in late afternoon (I'm off to work at 5 am) with the other torts. I feed adult turtles and torts about two or three times a week when in house and once a week when in outside enclosure (they scrounge and hunt themselves outside). As far as specific time of day, that is up to you. Just establish a routine for yourself, these animals eat whenever conditions are right. You seem to on the right track and have obviously have researched. You'll find these guys are fun to keep.

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks man!
I appreciate all the info/experiance you have given.
I bought some Nightcrawlers, plopped two into his substrate. Hope he eats them.
24 of those things!
Once I know he does, i'll add more.

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh yeah more questions! lol
Google dosen't seem to have much on this. (Brings up Turtle Wax, he isn't no car!)

Is it ok to "wash" him? I did read Dawn Liquid would be "animal" safe, I just want to wash his shell and undershell.

Silvers24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Since their pond turtles, I get the impression these guys LOVE the rain. Right?

I ask this because about 3 times a day I use a pump hand spray on him, and to keep his substrate moist/wet, and instead of going in his shell or something he Extends himself as high as he can to "enjoy" it as it poors down on him.

Which is the most COOLEST thing I have ever seen a turtle do.
However I think I am spoiling him, he hassen't gone in his pond water for 3 days, but he is eating.
Any reason for that?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
THey are rainforest turtles that most likely experience daily rainshowers. This event would bring out the invertebrates that they feed on. Mine doesn't soak that often if the substrat is damp enough, just drinks but keep keep the pond to give opportunity to soak. You'll find that they are very responsive to the keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.