About Bullying

lugui

Location (City and/or State)
Shanghai, China
The margin of the weight between Ase and Ada is always around 20g and from this spring the margin is increasing. Now, Ada is more than 500g and Ase is shrinked to 340g from 390g.

My torts Ase and Ada(Hermanni) are living together about 2 years, they live together when they were around 30g.Now they live with 3 small russian torts(90g,50g,50g) and another Hermanni(smaller than them). I have to admit that the space for these 6 torts is not big enough though not too small(1m*0.5m). This mounth I found Ase, the male hermanni, is not that interested to the food he used to eat anymore and starts to lose weight. And Ada, the biggest one among the 6 torts, female hermanni, is keeps growing quickly. I am wondering if it is about the bullying issue? Since I haven't witness the scenario that Ase chasing Ada for mating(or intimate mating) for a long time. Ase has nothing weird except eat less and less active, he drinks a lot.

Since I am worried about Ase, I give he something he never eat before, which is endive(Cichorium endivia L), surprisingly, he eat many of them( all my 6 torts like endive) which prooves that he is not illed, and I tried the shrimp, he still like it. Thanks to the advice gathered from this forum, I've basicly give up the diet with shrimp for 3 weeks, this time is just a try to make sure if he is alright.

What am I suppose to do, any advice other than seperate them? The temperature here in Shanghai is around 31 degree cetigrade, and the humidity is around 70%. Another hermanni Abam is slowly growing and 3 Russian is growing well too. Thank U!

One thing is notablely, that my other 2 hermannis(except Ase) like eating Mzuri 5M21 before, and now they don't like that much and eat less. So basicly, all my 3 hermanni is eating less.This is why I am confused.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, species should not be mixed. Get the Russians into their own large enclosure. Torts should not be kept in pairs. So get the Hermanns separated also until the 3rd one can be with them and you know the sexes. If you know the enclosures are not big enough that needs to be changed. A 3x8 for one Russian is minimal. For one smaller species like Russians and Hermanns in others, a 3x8 is minimum. A 4x8 is better and larger is even better yet

lugui

Shanghai, China
First, species should not be mixed. Get the Russians into their own large enclosure. Torts should not be kept in pairs. So get the Hermanns separated also until the 3rd one can be with them and you know the sexes. If you know the enclosures are not big enough that needs to be changed. A 3x8 for one Russian is minimal. For one smaller species like Russians and Hermanns in others, a 3x8 is minimum. A 4x8 is better and larger is even better yet
Thank you for your quick response. :) the size you've mentioned 4x8 or 3*8 means meters? 4meters or 4 ft?