Abnormal Urate--do I call the vet?

Reznov666

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My geriatric russian tortoise just woke up yesterday from a 2 month hibernation. I soaked him today, and this is his first urate since waking up from hibernation. Is this just a weird fluke while his body gets back on track, or is there a problem?

He has not eaten much since waking up-- he ate a little bit yesterday, and nothing today as far as I know. His activity has been normal, as best as I can tell. He is not super active like when he was a few years ago. He mostly sits where it is warm and doesn't walk around or explore as much as he used to.

Attachments

• bad urate 2.jpg
    bad urate 2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 55
  • bad urate 1.jpg
    bad urate 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 56

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would wait and not run to a vet just yet. See how he acts, eats, drinks, etc and how his next urates looks.
Seems late though for waking up specially being in CA. I don't hibernate mine, but seems most are up in mid April at the latest

Kasia

Poland
I would wait and not run to a vet just yet. See how he acts, eats, drinks, etc and how his next urates looks.
Seems late though for waking up specially being in CA. I don't hibernate mine, but seems most are up in mid April at the latest

Additionaly you can soak him twice a day to rehydrate him and get him on a natural CA sunshine :) How old is your geriatric Russian?

Reznov666

Southern California
Additionaly you can soak him twice a day to rehydrate him and get him on a natural CA sunshine :) How old is your geriatric Russian?
That's a good idea, I will try that. He has not shown interest in food yet today, and I am about to soak him. I do not know his age. The only thing I knew about him when I got him was that he came from a shelter that becoming overcrowded, and that he was in fact a Russian tortoise. I had to do research to learn that his long tail means he is male and that because of his size he is an adult. The vet confirmed that he was geriatric, based on the wear on his shell and the arthritis in his back legs. I have had him for almost 8 years now, and noticed he has slowed in activity in the last couple of years, so I am worried that he is entering the twilight of his life. I'm just trying to make sure he is as happy and healthy as he can be.

Reznov666

Southern California

I let him hibernate when he wants to usually, but I think I will stop doing that since I have heard that hibernating can complicate their health. He has only hibernated once or twice during the winter prior to this hibernation in the nearly 8 years that I have had him. We had cold weather for all of December through February, so I was absolutely scratching my head when he decided to hibernate in early March. I was afraid that my interference with his hibernating would do harm, so I let him be and waited patiently for him to wake up. He's just a goofy old geezer, I guess, and after this I'm just going to harass him and wake him up every day when he tries to hibernate. Although, our summers have been pretty hot lately, so I can't blame him for wanting to just sleep through it, since Russians will do that. I guess I'll just give him extra soaks, make sure he eats, then let him hide out in the shade.

Reznov666

Southern California
UPDATE: I got another urate out of him when I soaked him today.

Still some of that nasty color, but not as much. Lots of chunky white stuff, maybe he was unable to get it out yesterday and it's out now. Hopefully after this he'll be back to his usual clear liquid with loose white, like barely cooked egg white. His normal urates always reminded me of eggflower soup from a local Chinese restaurant, haha.

I'm going to let him dry off and try to relax, because he hates soaks. Then I'm going to try to get him to eat. I always like to feed him food that is juicy or that I have gotten wet with water, because I have never ever once seen him actually drink water or go near water of his own volition. He never soaks himself when I have had a soaking tub available for him to enter as he pleases. He hates water I guess, so I do what I can to keep the crusty old guy hydrated.

Attachments

• bad urate day 2.jpg
    bad urate day 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never had egg flower soup. Now I probably won't either. Lol
If/when you need to keep him up from hibernating keep him warm with 80 day temps, normal 60-65 night temps and basking 95-100 lights on for 10-12 hours a day. This should keep him up. Feed, water, and soak normally. Mine will slow down for about a month. He will sleep more and eat less, but he is never not awake or not eating daily.

Reznov666

Southern California
I never had egg flower soup. Now I probably won't either. Lol
If/when you need to keep him up from hibernating keep him warm with 80 day temps, normal 60-65 night temps and basking 95-100 lights on for 10-12 hours a day. This should keep him up. Feed, water, and soak normally. Mine will slow down for about a month. He will sleep more and eat less, but he is never not awake or not eating daily.

Good to know, thank you for all the advice! And sorry I ruined egg flower soup for everyone hahaha

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Markw84 gave a really good explanation of what it takes to get urates happening after hibernation earlier this year: Drinking but not urinating post hibernation.

With his explanation, it seems surprising there were any urates at all on day one? But it sounds like things are moving along now.

I soak my Russian in warmish water in the morning, before she’s moving around. It made a huge difference, Still, ten minutes is about all she’ll tolerate other than when she’s coming out of hibernation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good to know, thank you for all the advice! And sorry I ruined egg flower soup for everyone hahaha
Don't worry, you didn't ruin the soup for me. If you talk about human stuff, then in done. I can handle the animal stuff no problem.