Realbookworm

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hi! I’ve had my Russian (her name is Pistachio lol) for a little over a year now and I noticed when I got her that her shell seemed a little off centered, and in the last few months it’s been concerning me more and more. I want to know if her shell growth is normal or if I need to seek a professional for help with her. Are there any changes I could make with her diet that could help? I feed her mainly kale, collard greens, broccoli, and each of those with carrots every couple of days. She’ll also get berries every other week and I give her repti calcium once a week. Am I doing something wrong with her diet that’s making her shell weird? Please help! - Nayana6CB394C9-FB46-44CF-BA3C-5762D393AA5C.jpeg

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
Hi! I’ve had my Russian (her name is Pistachio lol) for a little over a year now and I noticed when I got her that her shell seemed a little off centered, and in the last few months it’s been concerning me more and more. I want to know if her shell growth is normal or if I need to seek a professional for help with her. Are there any changes I could make with her diet that could help? I feed her mainly kale, collard greens, broccoli, and each of those with carrots every couple of days. She’ll also get berries every other week and I give her repti calcium once a week. Am I doing something wrong with her diet that’s making her shell weird? Please help! - NayanaView attachment 285739
Have you read the Russian care thread? Sounds like an improper diet. Also, what is your lighting situation? How often do you soak?

Realbookworm

Portland, OR
Have you read the Russian care thread? Sounds like an improper diet. Also, what is your lighting situation? How often do you soak?
I have a combination heat lamp and sun lamp. One side is heat the other is the sun lamp, the sun one is on during the day and the heat lamp is on at night. I soak her at least once or twice a week. I’ll read the care thread on diets for Russians to see what else I’m missing in her diet

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Could we have a picture of her from each side? How old was she when you brought her home? Where did you get her?

This info will help us help you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Realbookworm

Portland, OR
Could we have a picture of her from each side? How old was she when you brought her home? Where did you get her?

This info will help us help you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
She was around 3-4 when I got her. She came from a family friend who owns lots of other reptiles, but I think she was her first tortoiseimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thanks for the pictures!
I think whoever had her for those first 3 or 4 years could have done a little better with her.

As Tom said, follow the care sheet, and hopefully new growth will be better. And I think I would try some coconut oil on the seams as well.