A young tortoise not eating

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hello, I have a young horsefield which I’ve had since January so is about a year old. It won’t eat anything at all I’ve tried fruit, weeds, dried flowers, vegetables and it just doesn’t want them. It is quite cold and lazy so we are trying to get it warmer to see if this makes a difference. I’ve seen some people give there tortoise bee pollen as it is very sweet and they sprinkle it on top of vegetables to attract tortoise. Does anyone have any recommendations?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I agree that you need to keep it warmer. If it's cold and lazy it won't want to eat. Can you show pics of the enclosure? Also, I really disagree with the bee pollen because that is like a sugar overload on a tortoise not made to process sweet foods. I would keep him very warm and try feeding romaine. Specifically the white part; that is a favorite of russians. I would also crush the white part a little to make it smell even more. When I crush the white part, my tortoises can't resist the smell and always start munching away.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Tortoises are reptiles: their metabolism does not generate sufficient heat in itself. Reptiles must have a warm environment and a hot place to raise their internal temperature enough to run all their bodily systems.

Read this care sheet and make the relevant changes ASAP:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Enclosure heat, light, hydration, diet, soaks and substrate all play an important part in digestion and welfare. Please read the care sheet and review the enclosure and you will be rewarded.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You have been advised what to do, so don't think that it's not really important to take the time and make the effort. Your little guy will improve, start eating and thrive if he is kept in the correct temperatures and humidity conditions. Being cold will kill him quickly, also being too dry. Get the conditions and his diet right and if he is not already sick and a far way gone, he will recover and thrive. Good luck and keep us informed. Pictures of him and his setup would help too!