Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I missed a nesting and this clutch hatched in the ground. I found the babies (most dead) last December, still cold and winter weather. This was one of the survivors. I'm keeping him (Zipper):

View attachment 272074

And this is Alex, a little Sulcata hatched by Forum member @Tortlex in January. I expressed an interest, and took possession in April. A nice addition to my little herd of aberrant scute babies, doncha think?

View attachment 272075
Both are gorgeous! Alex is especially unusual...:):<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Very nice! One doesn't often see water turtles with aberrant scutes.

She IS a cutey indeed!!
She came to me with a severe RI. I tried my best to save her but unfortunately she passed away.

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
So where are pictures of older abnormal scute tortoises? Back to @Cowboy_Ken 's orginal question... are there really that few adult examples when we see so many split/abnormal scute babies???

Here's a 6 year old Burmese star I have that is missing a scute. I got "her" sent to me as a female, but though it looked male when I got it. HE proved me right within a few months! Hatched Apr. 5, 2011

View attachment 207967

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
This pic reminds me of what I saw yesterday on the rear chute of my 4 month Red footed named Flash except he is not missing a chute. There was a tiny split down the middle of that chute. Will try to get a pic since I do not know enuff about tort anatomy to even know if it is abnormal.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
This is an overhead view of our sweet Mildred. I got her a couple of weeks ago, and her shell is a jumble of twists, turns, bumps and crazy scutes....but her personality absolutely makes up for it. Miraculously, she seems to get around just fine even though her shell is very lopsided and uneven.

IMG_20191124_184944.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This is an overhead view of our sweet Mildred. I got her a couple of weeks ago, and her shell is a jumble of twists, turns, bumps and crazy scutes....but her personality absolutely makes up for it. Miraculously, she seems to get around just fine even though her shell is very lopsided and uneven.

Wow, that really is a jumble of twists, very intriguing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone posted they had not seen pictures of grown tortoises with aberrant scutes. Alison Grey just posted this picture of her sulcata in a heating thread:

img_2674-jpg.192223

Very interesting, @Allison Gray - I want to see more of this beautiful animal!!!

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Yes. In between is my little male desert tortoise who seems to be a runt and it is about 70-ish years old. He’s the one that got me on the form in the first place after he got stung by a scorpion.