Ca

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's an updated picture of Leonard. He/she's about 8 or 9 months old - maybe a little older (I'd have to check my records):

aberrant scutes 1-11-19 d.jpg

I took in a couple clutches of CDT from a SoCal club a couple weeks ago, to find homes for them, and this one is in that group:

aberrant scutes 1-11-19 a.jpg aberrant scutes 1-11-19 b.jpg

And a clutch of leopard eggs hatched in the ground here a few weeks ago and I decided to keep this one:

aberrant scutes 1-11-19 c.jpg

I call this one Zipper.

NaomiB

Here’s Valentina and Darwin...my 5 year old does all the naming. Valentina just has the one split scute in the front. I had never heard of it before I received her, or, more appropriately ‘it’ at this age (blind box from a breeder in Florida).

B1956F4B-C54D-420B-9EEF-80EAA28BA1D5.jpeg 60FFE77F-6498-4E88-86D0-4577F606902E.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I missed a nesting and this clutch hatched in the ground. I found the babies (most dead) last December, still cold and winter weather. This was one of the survivors. I'm keeping him (Zipper):

zipper 5-13-19 a.jpg

And this is Alex, a little Sulcata hatched by Forum member @Tortlex in January. I expressed an interest, and took possession in April. A nice addition to my little herd of aberrant scute babies, doncha think?

Alex 5-13-19.jpg

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I missed a nesting and this clutch hatched in the ground. I found the babies (most dead) last December, still cold and winter weather. This was one of the survivors. I'm keeping him (Zipper):

View attachment 272074

And this is Alex, a little Sulcata hatched by Forum member @Tortlex in January. I expressed an interest, and took possession in April. A nice addition to my little herd of aberrant scute babies, doncha think?

View attachment 272075

Those are really cool patterns. Love it!

charlygal123

Kent UK
So where are pictures of older abnormal scute tortoises? Back to @Cowboy_Ken 's orginal question... are there really that few adult examples when we see so many split/abnormal scute babies???

Here's a 6 year old Burmese star I have that is missing a scute. I got "her" sent to me as a female, but though it looked male when I got it. HE proved me right within a few months! Hatched Apr. 5, 2011

View attachment 207967

Wow! Beautiful [emoji173]️