A Thread For Your Pictures of Split or Extra scutes

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your little runt is probably a Texas tortoise, Gopherus berlandieri. That's as big as they get.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
That would make sense as I had actually gotten him back in the 60s when you could buy them at the pet store. He was in a wire cage on the floor stuffed in with at least 30 other tortoises is my recollection but I was only about four years old at the time. he appealed to me because he was much smaller, his shell color was a little different, and his eyecolor was much more black compared to the Sonoran‘s that had more of a yellow ring coloration in the eye. The two females were bred in my backyard with a different Sonoran desert tortoise.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
That would make sense as I had actually gotten him back in the 60s when you could buy them at the pet store. He was in a wire cage on the floor stuffed in with at least 30 other tortoises is my recollection but I was only about four years old at the time. he appealed to me because he was much smaller, his shell color was a little different, and his eyecolor was much more black compared to the Sonoran‘s that had more of a yellow ring coloration in the eye. The two females were bred in my backyard with a different Sonoran desert tortoise.

@Lokkje,

Could you please post some more pics of the “runt” (top, bottom, front, back, etc)? Desert and Texas tortoises should have a nuchal scute; the Chaco tortoise does not. I think it could be a Chaco but more pics would help confirm. If you have any old pics they might help too (did it have a different shell coloration when it was younger)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Lokkje,

Could you please post some more pics of the “runt” (top, bottom, front, back, etc)? Desert and Texas tortoises should have a nuchal scute; the Chaco tortoise does not. I think it could be a Chaco but more pics would help confirm. If you have any old pics they might help too (did it have a different shell coloration when it was younger)?
I have a group of seven texas tortoses. Some have a nuchal scute, some don't.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
@Lokkje,

Interesting. He had much brighter yellow spots and he is more of a tan gray when he was younger for the background. I will try to see if I can dig up some pictures when I have a chance.

Micka_mouse

Oregon
This is Tostada ❤️ I’ve had him for about 3 weeks now and after I got him I noticed he’s got a small piece of his shell missing by his tail?? So far it doesn’t seem to bother him and I already got too attached so I didn’t want to switch him out for another baby

Attachments

• 47F9671F-D5AA-4E3D-AADE-0EC4828B3CDE.jpeg
    47F9671F-D5AA-4E3D-AADE-0EC4828B3CDE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • A29B50EB-4874-4C1B-BBE3-A8CCB313454B.jpeg
    A29B50EB-4874-4C1B-BBE3-A8CCB313454B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This thread was started quite a while ago. I'd like to see it started again. We have lots of new members now. Do any of you have tortoises with split or extra scutes? Please share pictures!