A Sulcata in Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

LParkey

5 Year Member
Ok peeps, I live in central Oklahoma. I would like to give my tort as much natural sunlight as possible, but I don't really know what temps are ok. My average temps are as follows in farienheit
November - February are all below 60*
March average is 62*
April average is 71*
May average is 79*
June average is 87*
July average is 93*
August average is 92*
September average is 83*
October average is 73*
I also need to mention that this last summer temps scorched at and above 110* and we had 50+ days above 100*
Do I need to factor in wind, and if so how does it effect her being outside? (IE: north, south, east or west wind. North winds feel colder.) It's constantly windy here.
So what temps are appropreate for her being outside to absorb natural sun? Is it like the temps in her cage?
I would really appreciate any input from as many as possible!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
As little as an hour a week can be greatly beneficial. For a hatchling (or very small tortoise), I would be hesitant to take it outside below 60 - 65*f. Even if the temperature seems low, directly in the sun will be quite a bit warmer.

For a temporary sunning enclosure, you can put some substrate in a tote with high walls (to block wind). Just be sure to provide some sort of shade for him to retreat into. Do you have a temp gun? I'd set it up without the tortoise first and measure temps.

I also need to mention that this last summer temps scorched at and above 110* and we had 50+ days above 100*

:p Pfft.

In the Summer, mine go out everyday. As long as they have shade and water they'll be fine.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what size? mine live outside year round. regardless of temps. Im in the foothills of calif. it can be in the 30's or 100's. They have a heated box for winter. if its in the 60s they are out.. if its overcast and cold, they stay in the box. Thier choice. They are not locked up.

LParkey

5 Year Member
Laura said:
what size? mine live outside year round. regardless of temps. Im in the foothills of calif. it can be in the 30's or 100's. They have a heated box for winter. if its in the 60s they are out.. if its overcast and cold, they stay in the box. Thier choice. They are not locked up.

She is abnormally small, as I have found out in my other threads from comments :( She is a little over 3 inches across the carapace, weighs 96.98 grams @ 22 months
May I ask for pictures of your setup outside?

Also Laura, where do you live and what kinds of weather do you have? We occasionally get snow, but often get ice storms in the winter with temps sometimes quite close to 0°

Status
Not open for further replies.