A Simple Build Enclosure

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I built this enclosure in 2012 in a day for a little star tortoise, using only glass, masking tape, silicone caulk, tape measure, a fine sandpaper for smoothing the sharp edges after after construction, and of course paper and pencil to write the glass measurements you want cut on. one.jpgLay the bottom piece and the 4 sides on a flat surface and tape them together.one 2.jpgMake sure all the pieces ore on he outside because at this point you caulk the inside corners.one 3.jpg Add the top pieces of glass and caulk them in place.one 4.jpgAfter the caulk sets for a while remove the tape.0ne 5.jpgWhen the caulk cures over night you can set it up to suit you and the tortoise.one 6.jpgThis is how my finished enclosure was set for him. I forgot to mention that after the caulk cures you sand the sharp glass edges to smooth them so they are safe and you wont get cut.

MikeT307

Florida
Very nice DIY build! It's more work but more rewarding with your glass instead of the plastic bins. You can see the tortoise much better with the glass build.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Scary for me but damn nice build! Since silicone can spoil in the tube I wouldn’t trust myself! Love seeing what owners do for their torts!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Very nice DIY build! It's more work but more rewarding with your glass instead of the plastic bins. You can see the tortoise much better with the glass build.
I like being able to see the tortoise and the tortoise able to see me. Late I built a larger one using a glass top table as the base and tempered glass for the sides that measured 30 in x 48 in. I think the cost of glass is less expensive than the lumber you would need to build one the same size. The plastic bins are the cheapest way to go though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Scary for me but damn nice build! Since silicone can spoil in the tube I wouldn’t trust myself! Love seeing what owners do for their torts!
Thanks, To keep the silicone from starting to cure in an open tube if you don't use the whole tube and it may be setting for a long time. I put a small piece of electric tape over the open end and screw an electrical wire nut onto it to get a good seal.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
I think this looks great ! Just watch your tortoise and make certain it does not walk into the glass. My Tortoise does not appear to understand the concept of a see through barrier :cool:

Len B

10 Year Member!
I think this looks great ! Just watch your tortoise and make certain it does not walk into the glass. My Tortoise does not appear to understand the concept of a see through barrier :cool:
I have used see thru enclosures for many years and sometimes a tortoise will climb the walls trying to get out. If this happens you have to figure out what the tortoise is trying to get away from or trying to get to. Once you get the right conditions and proper food items and the tortoise is content, it will settle down. Sometimes it's as simple as a piece of cuttle bone to chew on. Sometimes more complicated.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks, To keep the silicone from starting to cure in an open tube if you don't use the whole tube and it may be setting for a long time. I put a small piece of electric tape over the open end and screw an electrical wire nut onto it to get a good seal.
Oh I know that all too well I meant the expiration date on the tubes now! Years ago the mix would hold stable for a years unopened and now it’s like 6 months from when you buy it in the store

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh I know that all too well I meant the expiration date on the tubes now! Years ago the mix would hold stable for a years unopened and now it’s like 6 months from when you buy it in the store
I've had to toss many a tube of unopened silicone because it had turned hard in the cylinder. I now try to buy just the amount I think I'll need for my project, and no more.

Axelay2003

I love it. DIY projects are so rewarding, especially if they come out better than expected.