A Scarey Experience (LONG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi all, Hope everyone had a good holiday.
My brother has 2 little sons, ages 4 and 5. They have started a tradition of spending the week before Xmas with me. They showed up on Monday and the littlest one, Christian, loves the torts. He marches in saying Tortles, tortles and then gets the chair and climbs up. (My tort table has the bottom table blocked off with lattice so the cats don't use it, so the top one , which houses, the 2 RF and ornate Jack and Petey and Louise. He thinks they are mommy daddy and baby. He sprays them for hours, along with the lights the walls, and ugh!!! So cute. Anyway my latest one Nougat is in a tub, on a little table with a light, kinda in an "L" next to the table. There is insulation in a "V" over the hanger that holds the light to make the temps go up, so unless you look under it, you can miss him. I have never shown the kids Nougat, they are just at that age where it could be a toy. The others are too large, and they can't pick them up without help. So it's a good set up. (Aside from the spraying of everything!!!)
Anyway we were having a crowd on both xmas eve and xmas day. so after work on Thurs I did all the torts, and figured I wouldn't have to worry until the 26 th if I got over busy. (It's not like I can't see them, they are all in my 'formal dining' room. And xmas day we had 22 people. that night, we were having the desserts and my sis in law asked me what was in the smaller tub. I said a small tort and she said she looked but didn't see anything. I didn't bother looking, sometimes I have to dig under the moss etc.and they honestly don't really care. Plus we were having dessert!!! They all left late and I didn't think of it till the next day. I got up to do everyone and did Nougat first. I didn't see him, and started digging. NO Nougat!! His tub is right next to the table and sometimes for variety I elevate the dirt etc and I thought maybe he fell out. UGh I have dogs etc. I got my new tort "Olivia" and what I did was separate the bottom table which houses my leopard Pinkly in half. Well the bottom table slides out. (Smart hubby) But when you separate to make room for 2 torts divided you don't allow for sliding anything out. Plus all the lights are clamped on. I usually don't have to move them but twice a year. Anyway all the lights are off, the divider came out and I slid it out, grabbed a light and NO NOugat!!! I started to panic, did the kids touch him??? OH NO what if he is in a toy chest??? It had to be at most from Thursday. Could he be dead. We have radiant heat so the floor has been real warm, (having 2 little ones all week.) We usually have our house at 60. Then what about the dogs??? I looked in the top table and dug it all out, NO Nougat, then Pinklys, scraped that cage. NO NOugat. I was so worried. Then I went to Olivia and took her out. Guess what, NOUGAT was underneath her. Those damn kids. I called my brother and he was like oh boy. yeah I heard Christian saying why was the baby alone.. I soaked him and then gave him some favorite food Mazuri!!! He's fine, but what a scare!!!! I will have to do something for the next childrens visit. Just when you think you have some great set-ups!!!
Happy New Year
Na

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Wow that was quite the scare! So glad Nougat is all safe and sound. You should post a picture for extra "awwww" :) Happy New Year to you too!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
This is why I prefer to rent kids. Being kind to rewind before returning them (with MtDew or candy).

They make low voltage feces for ponds.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That was such a cute story. Especially when I got to the end of it and Christian had said that the baby shouldn't have been alone. Kids, gotta love them they say the cutest stuff. He just wanted the baby to be with someone that's all, but yes I agree you'll have to do something next time. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow, Nay. When you told this story I kept thinking about my Izzy and what my little neice did to her. Very scary to me. Now I don't let any of the little guys in my turtle room unless I am there to watch. I will never trust a little kid again with any of mine. I'm so happy you found yours.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
That's what I was thinking too :( I'm so glad this story had a good ending.

Never having children! At least, not the warm blooded kind :rolleyes:

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
terryo said:
Wow, Nay. When you told this story I kept thinking about my Izzy and what my little neice did to her. Very scary to me. Now I don't let any of the little guys in my turtle room unless I am there to watch. I will never trust a little kid again with any of mine. I'm so happy you found yours.

What happened with yours?

Sure glad I don't have any kids yet after all this talk ^_~

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
There's a thread on it. I feel bad for Terry. :( Izzy is still AWOL.

I'm glad everything was alright! That must have been terrifying!

Korrin, my 4 yr old goddaughter I love to have over, and she loves the tortoises. Anouk, my 15 month old she has always called her "fancy little baby turtle"

I showed her how we hand feed Nigel red pepper one time though, and MAN when she saw how big his mouth was, and how fast he moved for that pepper, she refused to come off of the couch and feed him! I never told her that he bites, but she seemed to have gotten that impression. She helps me put food down sometimes, but that's it. I've never offered to let her hold one, and she really hasn't bothered to ask which I like!

Man, I bet that was a scare. Little Nougat is the CL rescue right? I always remember because its such a cute name!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Meg, it's funny. I have been hand feeding my little ornate, Louise for awhile. Got such a kick out of how she comes running. Well now I have created a monster and she will taste first!!! I haven't allowed the kids to witness that, gee good thing. They are a little intimated by the Jack and Petey, but now of course not Nougat. ANd yes the is the CL 'rescue". He is such a cutie. In a way he is easier to keep. The tub stays really moist, the heat stays good, because of the size. I didn't really want another place for torts the table is so nice, but now I have to rethink, having added Olivia. She is in half the bottom table for the winter, but I feel it's way to small to make it home, plus the Leopard is also in a shrunk space. Although it seems she is in a slow mode and eats and sleeps.
I'm so happy to have my bro's kids visit, but I'll be honest it is a relief to say bye bye...
I think I'll do some posting of the pics later.
Na

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm so glad all the tortoises are safe and sound! That must have been terrifying!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
DoctorCosmonaut said:

You have no idea what wonderful times you are missing. Yes, there are those scarey times like with Nay and Terry, but and this is a huge but, the other times make it worth it. They see such wonder in even the littlest things, they help you see and appreciate things with your tortoises you never expect, and then the grow older and can help you with them and even babysit them for you. ;) Kids are also wonderful to help find weeds and catch bugs for the critters. With luck, one of your children has a love for them and you can rest assured that if anything were to happen to you, your cherished tortoises will be safe and sound.

Nay glad it had a happy ending, I had figured it had been moved in with the rest. Got to simply love the reason why. :D

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Jacqui said:
DoctorCosmonaut said:

You have no idea what wonderful times you are missing. Yes, there are those scarey times like with Nay and Terry, but and this is a huge but, the other times make it worth it. They see such wonder in even the littlest things, they help you see and appreciate things with your tortoises you never expect, and then the grow older and can help you with them and even babysit them for you. ;) Kids are also wonderful to help find weeds and catch bugs for the critters. With luck, one of your children has a love for them and you can rest assured that if anything were to happen to you, your cherished tortoises will be safe and sound.

Nay glad it had a happy ending, I had figured it had been moved in with the rest. Got to simply love the reason why. :D

Once more off topic: I hope so too :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Jacqui, I know this topic has digressed, but you are so right. My son has grown up with everything related to animals. He is only 14 and has been exposed to more life(and death) than most adults will ever see.When he was around 1 and 1/2 , he found his first snake(a little gardner) we have such a wonderful picture of the excitement he was showing. (Someone just brought that picture up this holiday) It really started Dillon on a world of wonder with animals.He knew the different between and cheeta and a tiger at 2,(most kids will all say big cat!) We do an archery shoot every spring for 20 weeks and during that time the little newts come out in droves. He will still stop for every single one so the folks behind us don't step on them. Just little things that have been instilled since a youngster, and I take the credit for putting it there. Some kids were talking about blowing up frogs with firecrackers and even though he was with the group talking, I heard him be disgusted. It made me proud. My brothers kids(my avatar) are only being exposed to any animals in very small doses, like only when they come to my house. But I am trying my hardest to make it quality time.
I waited to have kids and thats good and bad.But adding Dillon to the animal's world will be a good thing for them!
NA

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Na, glad everything worked out ok!

Webskipper, I had no idea there was low voltage feces! hee hee

Status
Not open for further replies.