A question on the price of South African Leopard tortoises...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, so I was searching South African leopard tortoises on google, and this site came up:
http://turtleshack.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=451

Now my bf traded a crested gecko for my S.A. Leo that I have, and the prior owner knew nothing of tortoise care because she was in terrible shape.... But are South African Leo's that pricey?! NOT that I'm giving her up lol!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I usually see them around 150-200 online and usually 100 on Craigslist

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
GPB go for 100 to 140 max usually but the South African usually go 300 to 350 max from what I have seen everywhere.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
I saw that add the other day, and that's the first thing that popped into my head. It's not even a half competent shoop... Everything on and around the leopard is tinted red.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
It's because they are f1's.....true pardalis pardalis are hard to come by in the US....most you see are actually crossed. But still pretty expensive, at best for f1 i'd look for 500-600

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jfulcher said:
Ok, so I was searching South African leopard tortoises on google, and this site came up:
http://turtleshack.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=451

Now my bf traded a crested gecko for my S.A. Leo that I have, and the prior owner knew nothing of tortoise care because she was in terrible shape.... But are South African Leo's that pricey?! NOT that I'm giving her up lol!

Assuming the genetics are genuinely South African, I'd say that's within average, but on the higher end of the spectrum for a hatchling South African leopard.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've seen "pure" SA hatchlings on kingsnake. for $200. That's the lowest. But I wouldn't buy from turtleshack. Look at the shell. All their torts appear pyramided.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I sell hatchlings for $300. I've seen adults sell for $3500-6000. These are really quite rare and very seasonal. They are a totally different tortoise than the regular leopards in my opinion. Different size, appearance, diet and personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.