A question about this bulb: Zilla Desert 50 UVB Fluorescent Bulb 20 Watt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunny

5 Year Member
Hi. I am new to your forum but I have had my sulcata (Bunny) for about 3 years now. I was using the reptiglow or reptisun bulbs for the rare times he was inside (he has an outdoor enclosure- I live in FL) but discovered the Zilla Desert 50 UVB, 26 watt bulb today while shopping for a replacement bulb as the old one blew yesterday afternoon.

What brought me here is this: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

We began a serious investigation of these reports in April 2007 following an alert from one of the organisers of a popular hobbyists’ website forum in the USA, www.redearslider.com, where members had become very concerned following a spate of problems in turtles across the USA.

We have now documented 40 individual cases, occurring since September 2006, affecting 16 turtles, 3 tortoises and 21 lizards in the USA and in Europe, affected by ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamps and (more rarely) 5.0 Compact Lamps.
We are aware of one incident reported previously, associated with a Big Apple Herpetological Mystic Lamp.
At the beginning of September 2007, we first become aware of reptiles being affected by excessive UVB radiation from lamps from the R-Zilla Desert 50 series lamps; we now know of five incidents involving at least another 40 animals (one case involves a large number of bearded dragons owned by a breeder).

We have therefore thoroughly tested samples of the new-style ZooMed Reptisun compact lamps and Big Apple Herpetological Mystic lamps, and two lamps from the new R-Zilla Desert 50 Series. We have compared their output with similar UVB fluorescent lamps and tubes of other brands which, as far as we are aware, have not caused this problem.

The full reports on the lamps we have tested have now been completed. The case histories relevant to the ZooMed compact lamps are complete; we are still gathering data regarding the cases relevant to the R-Zilla lamps.
Each company has been sent a very detailed report with all the lamp test results and case histories relating to their products. We earnestly hope and believe that all will respond swiftly and positively to our discoveries. We have already received encouraging responses, as each company begins to address the problem, and we will be publishing their information as soon as we receive it.

This has me concerned. What do you think? Is anyone using this bulb and have you had any issues? Do you have a favored bulb? (Mine is the sun-haha!)

Bunny and I thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bunny's keeper:

189056c5rspmwfgp.gif

to the forum! My tortoises are outside too, but for when they're in the house I have the T-Rex 100 watt active UV/heat spot. I have it on several different kinds of hatchlings with no ill effects, however, I do have it a little higher than recommended, and only over a corner of the habitat...not the full light shining down.

Bunny

5 Year Member
Think it'll be ok? I found this bulb at a deep discount on Ebay and I am tempted to buy it.

I use a clamp style fixture and could direct the rays a little off the enclosure. Bunny has some pyramiding (I think-- it's so hard to tell when they are this age) and I worry about not enough light as opposed to too much. If I angle the light carefully it will also throw light on my Budgies cage and that's always a good thing...

So- yeah-- think it's a good purchase for the next little bit? He'll be back outside very soon.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Next to the MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulbs) the ReptSun 10 long fluorescent tubes are the best bulbs. I get mine at www.petmountain.com for about $20. Do not use ReptiGlo 10 nor any compacts or coils. They have a history of causing problems.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.