A Planted Rainforest Terrarium/Table for my Redfoot Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8todd

5 Year Member
ehopkins12 said:
what is generating the mist from the pipe?

Its a humidifier that sits below the table and runs up through 2" pvc. I will get more photos of the plumbing, lighting system, and torts tonight.

sk8todd

5 Year Member
Home from work. I took some pics before feeding. They perk up when I spray the terrarium down and search everywhere for their meal. I also found out that they have a great sense of smell especially for MEAT.

M

Maggie Cummings

That's beautiful...I love him peeking out from under the slate. But I would be careful using the coil bulbs. Several years ago I blinded one small Sulcata and partially blinded another. I am figuring that the problem with the bulbs has been taken care of by now. But I just wanted to give you a heads up. If one of your youngsters seems to be having an eye problem I would immediately remove the bulbs. I have lost the link now but I am sure another forum member will have it and give it to you. Also...I don't keep Redfoots;, but they live on the forest floor and don't have bright lights. I tortsit 2 Redfoots and when I have them I use a regular incandescent yellow bulb...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
In theory.. application and appearance your viv is fabulous! All of that light however is only a benefit to your plants.. not your redfoots.

The plant 'health' is what is holding in the humidity. And I wonder what the temps are at ground level?

I've never known any of my redfoots to climb.. so you may be setting yours up for a fatal fall with that hide configuration! I use slate only to feed mine on [ on cypress mulch only for 6"+ ones ].. but with the "moss" combo you use that really isn't needed. You are better off to keep the substrate 'drier'.. and as you know you will have to work at keeping the humidity up - constant misting of the plants should resolve that issue.

I wonder about [ hard surface ] stones or rocks in a viv. I would think that if they ever were encountered in the wild they would be moss or plant covered.

Within the year [ if I were you ] I would plan on making use of an entire wall of that room to build their permanent 'indoor' enclosure. Typically they grow to 4" the first year.. and within 5 years they could easily reach 7-8" SCL.

These are the "basics" that TerryO has gleaned from.. combined with her green thumb.. to create a perfect environment that has enabled hers to strive and grow. Pio is a prime example - follow his lead :rolleyes:

Terry K

sk8todd

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
In theory.. application and appearance your viv is fabulous! All of that light however is only a benefit to your plants.. not your redfoots.

The plant 'health' is what is holding in the humidity. And I wonder what the temps are at ground level?

I've never known any of my redfoots to climb.. so you may be setting yours up for a fatal fall with that hide configuration! I use slate only to feed mine on [ on cypress mulch only for 6"+ ones ].. but with the "moss" combo you use that really isn't needed. You are better off to keep the substrate 'drier'.. and as you know you will have to work at keeping the humidity up - constant misting of the plants should resolve that issue.

I wonder about [ hard surface ] stones or rocks in a viv. I would think that if they ever were encountered in the wild they would be moss or plant covered.

Within the year [ if I were you ] I would plan on making use of an entire wall of that room to build their permanent 'indoor' enclosure. Typically they grow to 4" the first year.. and within 5 years they could easily reach 7-8" SCL.

These are the "basics" that TerryO has gleaned from.. combined with her green thumb.. to create a perfect environment that has enabled hers to strive and grow. Pio is a prime example - follow his lead :rolleyes:

Terry K

To the Terry's thanks so much for all the intelligent advice. You seem to have similar concerns as me and a great eye for details.

The ground temps and humidity read from probes at ground level directly under the pendant read 85-95 day or night and 50-90% humidity depending on if a fogger is going or if I sprayed or watered the plants.

The slate hut was of concern when I designed it. If a tortoise is on top and can see me put out a food dish, they take the shortest route which is off the edge. I have never seen them unintentionally fall off, just climb off by choice. They haven't toppled over, but you do raise a concern if it happens when I'm not observing or away for a few days. I will make a soil handicap ramp that they can safely use to climb down the front. I like the idea of stones in the vivarium because they help retain radiant heat and the torts seem to like the view. :)

Based off their growth rate thus far, I do plan on upsizing to a book shelf tort table in about a year. It will be a similar habitat but larger shade vegetation like a ficus or sago palms forest.

I do have a concern about the lighting and different issues people have brought up about UVA/UVB, Blinding, CFL bulbs and even no need for light at all. The CFLs are the bare minimum I could run to keep the plants alive. I wouldn't consider them thriving off 48 watts either. Any suggestions on lighting that will keep both the torts and plants happy? I figure the more dense/shaded the forest the more light output I can have without disturbing the guys. Input would be greatly appreciated! :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Per your request... [ keep in mind.. some of the pics refer to 'temporary' indoor/winter enclosures.. 8+ months out of the year they are outside ( hiding from the sun ) :cool:

You may want to consider some of the parameters in this 'old' and 'revised' caresheet - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

More of the story here.. 'un-edited' article.. Sept. '06 Reptiles mag. -
http://www.turtletary.com/REDFOOT/Gcarbonariabreeding.doc

"It's the 'lil foxes that spoil the vine" - attention to detail.. is attention! They can fix or foil the best laid plans.

I've managed to keep a few alive...

Terry K

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Most tropical plants that I use don't require too much sun. I just use a heat emitter on one side over his hide, and on the other side a long tube 10.0 UVB. You could use a regular long tube plant light also...same thing....it's just what I had on hand at the time and kept it. I've tried tubs, tables etc...and nothing held the humidity as well as a glass vivarium for me. It's just a 75 gal tank with a screen top, which I cut a hole in on one side over his hide for the heat emitter. I covered the rest of the screen top with clear wrapping tape. Next year when he comes in for the winter I'm thinking of making something bigger for him. He's so happy outside for the summer and really sulks a bit when he has to come inside. I think your viv. is just spectacular! Mine is not as pretty as it used to be, since Pio has grown up and weighs a ton, as he tramples the plants. I have followed Terry K.'s care sheets since he was a month old and so far he is looking good. I also feed him on the slate, like Terry K. said and it keeps his beak in good shape. He is my only tortoise and I learn something new about him every day. He is much loved by my family.

004-23.jpg

002-26.jpg

006-24.jpg

sk8todd

5 Year Member
Terryo, Your indoor enclosure looks great. MOSS! Thats what I'm missing. Are you spraying your tank down or have something automated? Is the moss staying alive in there? On the soil or on rocks? Any tips on moss indoors?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
sk8todd said:
Terryo, Your indoor enclosure looks great. MOSS! Thats what I'm missing. Are you spraying your tank down or have something automated? Is the moss staying alive in there? On the soil or on rocks? Any tips on moss indoors?

I plant the small pots with the plants right in the substrate and water them twice a week. I only mist before he comes out to eat, and I just mist the plants and Pio until he's dripping wet. I put frog moss around the dish, but I notice that you have to keep it wet for it to stay green. I have tried tropical moss, Spanish moss and Scottish moss and they all have to be kept wet when inside to stay green. For my boxies when inside I use terrarium moss. That always stays green. I like to put some kind of moss around the water dish because it really helps keep the water clean for half a day...LOL. In the outside enclosure I put moss all along the stream. It really helps outside to keep everything clean. Are you going to make an outside enclosure for yours. I can just imagine how beautiful that will be. This is the terrarium moss that I used to use for Pio when he was little.
003-4.jpg

This is Spanish and Scottish moss outside. I really love this moss because it makes little flowers all summer....so cute.

002-13.jpg

022-5.jpg

I use the frog moss in the boxie hatchlings viv too. It really stays green in there because I keep it extra humid and wet.
31ukieW55UL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
sk8todd said:

MOSS????? Haven't I heard that before? [ replace the stones with moss? ]

sk8todd ( what's your name? :) ) You would think that TerryO and I have a 'mastermind' going on wouldn't you?

I got in trouble once [ often ] because years ago someone posted on a different forum showing her "outdoor enclosure" for her redfoot. It was a nice looking 'rock-garden/lansdcaped' creation...... and I told her it was just that - '...... with a redfoot in it...... not an outdoors redfoot enclosure!" She "showed-out" demonstrating how educated she really wasn't!

TerryO has taken her 'tallents' and has created a beautiful functional outdoor enclosure for her redfoot tortoise. Maybe she will bless us with a few of those pics? I think she will.....

Terry K

Dud

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i have a question thats been buggin me for a long time :D how do you maintain hygiene in the enclosure ? :D does thet plant degrades the torts waste naturally ? thankss :D

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
That is an amazing enclosure you have there! I love the design and I might use some of your ideas for my tort table!! Thanks for the pics!! VERY NICE! ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Dud said:
i have a question thats been buggin me for a long time :D how do you maintain hygiene in the enclosure ? :D does thet plant degrades the torts waste naturally ? thankss :D

When my Tort goes out for the summer, I clean his whole viv. Take everything out and clean with water and bleach mix. Then I put all new substrate and plants and keep it going with plants lights until the Fall when he comes in again. When he's in there I just do quick clean ups...If I see poop, I take it out...clean the water dish every day. Sometimes I sprinkle a little cypruss mulch to freshen it up. That's the only cleaning I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.