A Planted Rainforest Terrarium/Table for my Redfoot Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8todd

5 Year Member
Hello! I'm new to the forums but I've had my 3 Redfoots for 8 months. They are amazing creatures and keep me entertained. I have an Environmental Design degree in Landscape Architecture so I wouldn't feel right with a boring enclosure for my guys.

The tortoise table is built out of 3/4" ply, sealed and painted black with a 1/8" plexi front. The plexi front has a black window frame trim to cover all seams and screws. I had extra wood so I built a matching pendant hung from the ceiling. Painted white inside, black outside.

The substrate is a blend of 40% spagnum moss and 60% spagnum soil. The moss alone didn't retain moisture and irritated their eyes. The soil retains moisture and nutrients for the vegetation, and the moss prevents soil compaction. There is a plastic barrier between soil and wood.

Lighting and heat is built into the hanging pendant. 2x 24w CFL's 3400k and 6500k and 2x 75w ceramic heat emitters on dimmers. A timer/power supply automates 12hr light cycle and the heat emitters stay on 24-7.

Humidity was a constant battle so there is a quart size plant pot towards the back of the terrarium that holds an ultra sonic reptile fogger set at 45 minute intervals 7 times each day. It needs to be refilled daily. Its really hard to tell from the photos but their is a back to front slope in the landscape so the fog doesn't just pool up it travels towards the front. There is a clear plastic tent between the hanging pendant and table to retain moisture and keep temps stable. I also supplement their moisture with a humidifier that sits below the table and is fed with 2" pvc plumbing which is turned on for a few minutes while I watch them eat.

I almost forgot! Their names are Larry David, Baby Bowser and Moe. They like to sleep a lot but aren't afraid of the light or me. I gave them plenty of shaded areas to make it a more natural "rainforesty" environment. They like to burrow under their slate rock to sleep and bask under the light on top of their den. About the clear front view, they don't give a 2nd glance to the other side of the glass. I have changed their landscape twice and they seem very curious of their habitat. Once a week I don't feed them and they get grumpy and chomp on their planted vegetation. They don't eat the ferns or selloum, but love succulents EDIT: Apparently they love to eat things bad for them (Pothos). I would post more auction shots of the Torts but this is an "Enclosures" section.

[IMG=http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1994/dsc0002mr.th.jpg][/IMG]
t87s51.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
That plant your little guy is eating is called a Golden Pothos..
and they are poisonous!!!!!!:(
... Golden Pothos is poisonous to pets and reptiles ... Upon ingestion of Golden Pothos which contains oxalates, the oxalates will be absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract to bind with the serum calcium in the blood forming calcium oxalate crystals and depleting the blood of its normal calcium levels...

sk8todd

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
... Golden Pothos is poisonous to pets and reptiles ... Upon ingestion of Golden Pothos which contains oxalates, the oxalates will be absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract to bind with the serum calcium in the blood forming calcium oxalate crystals and depleting the blood of its normal calcium levels...

Well now I'm glad I posted! Look at Baby Bowser chomp away...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sk8todd said:
N2TORTS said:

IF you can .... try a little potted hibiscus .. and rotate outside for sunlight every couple of days . Your lil guy will eat the leaves .. and love the flowers! ..Keep "pinched" back to retain shrub type growth.. They tend to lean towards the red vairety~ but will eat all the colors~
JD~:)

sk8todd

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
sk8todd said:
N2TORTS said:

IF you can .... try a little potted hibiscus .. and rotate outside for sunlight every couple of days . Your lil guy will eat the leaves .. and love the flowers! ..Keep "pinched" back to retain shrub type growth.. They tend to lean towards the red vairety~ but will eat all the colors~
JD~:)

Thanks for all your advice.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Your Viv is absolutely fabulous!!! I also keep my Cherry Head, and all my boxies too in a planted viv. I usually look at this list when I do my planting. It's my favorite list because it tells you about each plant. Pothos are high in Oxalic Acid, you will notice if you read this list. I have them in my Cherries viv, but he never bothers with them. But you don't have to chance it, if you don't want to. Doing research, I notice that all lists are different.
http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
Welcome to the forum, and again, your vivarium is wonderful!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sk8todd:

766553drwzab1ynf.gif
to the forum!!

I don't think you have to worry about removing the pathos plant. It is natural to the part of the world that redfoots come from and more than likely they eat it in the wild. Just be sure you keep them well fed and hydrated and he should leave it alone soon enough. It might be helpful to him in removing parasites. Lots of wild tortoises eat things that aren't good for them occasionally to keep their parasite load down. Just guessing here.

sk8todd

5 Year Member
You guys and gals are so nice! Thanks for all the constructive advice and comments.

Terryo, That is a great plant species list. Thank you. I presume the general plant safety carries over to other tortoise species?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a gorgeous enclosure!! Your babies are adorable :)
I love the name Bowser for a tort :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
Looks amazing. The substrate looks drier than I would have expected though. I've heard a mister works better than a fogger, but not 100% on that.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
sk8todd said:
You guys and gals are so nice! Thanks for all the constructive advice and comments.

Terryo, That is a great plant species list. Thank you. I presume the general plant safety carries over to other tortoise species?

I use it for all my boxies and my Redfoot (Cherry Head). I even carry a copy of it for when I go to the nursery to do my Spring planting for my outdoor enclosures. I feed mine every day, so they don't munch too much on anything when they are inside. Outside they are more active so they nibble on everything. (I keep saying they...I mean my boxies too...I only have one tortoise that's two years old and I'm still learning about him)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Another thing I learned....I was watering the plants and the substrate was always wet, and this caused my Cherry Head to get a fungus. So now I let the substrate dry out and just water the plants in their little pots that I plant them in. I mist them too, but you don't need to mist, with that great system that you have. I just love your viv. Will you be able to put them outside in the summer, or will they stay inside? Oh...and what is that plant with the little pink flowers? I can't see very well.

Lori J

5 Year Member
New York
wow..that really looks nice. i wish i was so handy like that....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Awesome!! So very glad you shared this with us! :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a lovely tortoise table! Beautiful plants, too. A jungle paradise! :D

Are your torts just babies then, or did you get them as hatchlings?

Please post some of those action shots soon so we can see all your totrtoises. ;)

sk8todd

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:

Please post some of those action shots soon so we can see all your totrtoises. ;)

They are still babies. I had ordered them from a Florida breeder and received them very young. I must say I am amazed by their growth rate. I will try to get some more photos up tonight. :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
sk8todd said:
Stephanie Logan said:

They are still babies. I had ordered them from a Florida breeder and received them very young. I must say I am amazed by their growth rate. I will try to get some more photos up tonight. :)

YEP.... it won't be long before you'll want to expand and give them growing room. Be careful to not over-feed them - follow TerryO's lead.. she has raised a perfect one!

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.