A Picky Eater

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi. I have been having trouble in persuading Oli to eat. He won't even eat lettuce which is his favourite. Don't know why he gets into these "moods" if so I may call them, every now and again.

There was a heat wave here weeks ago, whereas temperature reached 38 degrees C in Amman. I know that torts lose appetite during Winter, not Summer. @Lyn W and @ZEROPILOT were kind enough to help here. @Lyn W said that it could have been the heat. (Thanks @Lyn W and @ZEROPILOT). Let us suppose it was the heat wave. Temperature has dropped to only 27 degrees C, and Oli still will not eat.

I received mazuri from a friend living abroad, thank God. I mixed mazuri with lettuce, hoping he would eat, but no way! I am aware of the fact that Oli is going to have to get used to mazuri from "zero" due to the fact that he has not eaten it for long - that was when @ZEROPILOT was generous enough to send some. Thanks, Ed!

Moreover, Oli has become terribly inactive. I give him a daily soak (during the heat wave I gave him at least two), and I try to hand feed him. When he refuses to eat endlessly, he retires to the same corner and falls asleep.

The issue is really worrying me. Any help / advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi. I have been having trouble in persuading Oli to eat. He won't even eat lettuce which is his favourite. Don't know why he gets into these "moods" if so I may call them, every now and again.

There was a heat wave here weeks ago, whereas temperature reached 38 degrees C in Amman. I know that torts lose appetite during Winter, not Summer. @Lyn W and @ZEROPILOT were kind enough to help here. @Lyn W said that it could have been the heat. (Thanks @Lyn W and @ZEROPILOT). Let us suppose it was the heat wave. Temperature has dropped to only 27 degrees C, and Oli still will not eat.

I received mazuri from a friend living abroad, thank God. I mixed mazuri with lettuce, hoping he would eat, but no way! I am aware of the fact that Oli is going to have to get used to mazuri from "zero" due to the fact that he has not eaten it for long - that was when @ZEROPILOT was generous enough to send some. Thanks, Ed!

Moreover, Oli has become terribly inactive. I give him a daily soak (during the heat wave I gave him at least two), and I try to hand feed him. When he refuses to eat endlessly, he retires to the same corner and falls asleep.

The issue is really worrying me. Any help / advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
I am so sorry Gillian. Hopefully someone can help you with some advice that will help. I would be interested in what they have to say as well. All I can say is to try and maybe get him to eat a bite or two. Try hand feeding while he is soaking. Then hopefully his appetite will come back. That is what I would do. But then you have most probably already tried that.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I am so sorry Gillian. Hopefully someone can help you with some advice that will help. I would be interested in what they have to say as well. All I can say is to try and maybe get him to eat a bite or two. Try hand feeding while he is soaking. Then hopefully his appetite will come back. That is what I would do. But then you have most probably already tried that.
Thanks very much your prompt answer as well as your help and kind words.

Believe it or not Oli won't eat a single bite. Even during literally freezing cold weather and snow he had more appetite. Furthermore, I have been hand feeing him ever since I have had him.

As for feeding him whilst he's being soaked, well, to be honest to you and with all my respect, I would not do that. What if he chokes, God forbid?! I would rather not take that risk: "Better be safe than sorry." I'll wait and see what some members have to say, hoping they can help.

Many thanks again for your kindness, @CarolM .

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry Oli is still worrying you Gillian.
Can you get some carrot only baby food from a supermarket and add that to his soak?
If not try grating some fresh carrot to a mush and soak it in some water then drain the water into Oli's bath or maybe add it all.
Does he have a uvb bulb or somewhere safe e.g a box on a balcony where he can enjoy some sunshine on his back for a short time? That may perk him up.
Apologies if that's not much help, but hopefully you'll get other ideas too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can you get some carrot only baby food from a supermarket and add that to his soak?
If not try grating some fresh carrot to a mush and soak it in some water then drain the water into Oli's bath or maybe add it all.
Does he have a uvb bulb or somewhere safe e.g a box on a balcony where he can enjoy some sunshine on his back for a short time? That may perk him up.
Oh, thank you so much for your help, Lyn.
Yes, baby carrot is available here. I'm going to have to try that. And yes he definitely does have a UVB light. As far as the some sunshine is concerned, well, I have tried it on the balcony where it is nice and sunny. However he would "escape" and rush to the shade! What on earth would make a tort go to the shade?! Strange isn't it?

Please do not apologize Lyn. God only knows grateful I am. Thank you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh, thank you so much for your help, Lyn.
Yes, baby carrot is available here. I'm going to have to try that. And yes he definitely does have a UVB light. As far as the some sunshine is concerned, well, I have tried it on the balcony where it is nice and sunny. However he would "escape" and rush to the shade! What on earth would make a tort go to the shade?! Strange isn't it?

Please do not apologize Lyn. God only knows grateful I am. Thank you.
In your temps I'd be rushing for the shade too!!:)
As long as he gets his uvb from somewhere he should be fine with that.
I hope he brightens up soon.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Since Oli has gotten into these not eating fits before....Only to end up being fine, let's just hope this is another one and that he will again be just fine.
How long since he last ate?
Is he drinking?

I think about two weeks or so. OK, we all know that torts can go on without food for long, but still it is worrying me, and worrying me a lot.

Yes Ed, Oli is drinking well, thank God. But when it comes to eating.....no way.

Thanks your help Ed. Appreciate it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
In your temps I'd be rushing for the shade too!!:)
As long as he gets his uvb from somewhere he should be fine with that.
I hope he brightens up soon.
We'll see. He's been driving me nuts! :mad: I'm going to declare war on him on day if he goes on like this - LOL! :D

As far as the weather is concerned, 28 degrees C is nothing for this country, particularly in June. Wait till July and August when temperature reaches 39, 40, and even 45 degrees C! :rolleyes:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At this point I wouldn't be too concerned. If only because of his past behavior. Especially because he is still drinking.
But in another week or so, I'd offer a bit of a forbidden food. Maybe a very small piece of fruit? To try to "turn on" his appetite. Maybe fruit in some Mazuri?
I wish I had more experience with anything but Redfoot. Sorry.

drew54

Indiana

I was going to suggest this very same thing.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
At this point I wouldn't be too concerned. If only because of his past behavior. Especially because he is still drinking.
But in another week or so, I'd offer a bit of a forbidden food. Maybe a very small piece of fruit? To try to "turn on" his appetite. Maybe fruit in some Mazuri?
I wish I had more experience with anything but Redfoot. Sorry.
Thank you very much for your help, Ed.

I'll wait and see, though mind you, today he ate a tiny - literally tiny - piece of lettuce. I was relieved I must admit. But at the same time I am still worried.