A pair of kleinmanni

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
That small enclosure is not sufficient to house that many tortoises and keep everyone healthy. You need to make a much larger space or to thin your herd down.

What are you doing for UVB and basking light if they don't go outside?

Mina Adel

That small enclosure is not sufficient to house that many tortoises and keep everyone healthy. You need to make a much larger space or to thin your herd down.

What are you doing for UVB and basking light if they don't go outside?
This enclosure is 2 meters long
The sunlight comes inside on them

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
This enclosure is 2 meters long
The sunlight comes inside on them

Is the sun coming in through glass or is it completely open? Glass, plastic, or a mesh screen will filter out the UVB light. The sunlight must be unfiltered to provide what it needs to.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
As Sarah pointed out: the enclosure isn't big enough.
With the pic you posted it looks like maybe one tortoise would be okay in that. Two as a max but pairs are frowned upon.

Mina Adel

Is the sun coming in through glass or is it completely open? Glass, plastic, or a mesh screen will filter out the UVB light. The sunlight must be unfiltered to provide what it needs to.

No glass.. It is completely open
I am taking care of them now but
The previous owner didn't
They were too cold .. as cold as ice . When I bought them.
I mean I bought sick tortoises.
They weren't move or eat when I got them.
How can I be so sure that's a pneumonia .. to start treating them ? And how to treat pneumonia?
The enclosure is wide ... I can sleep in it .
Thank you all a lot for your help .

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
The conditions your are providing will not give you healthy tortoises even if they were all healthy to begin with.
Did you ever treat them for parasites?
It seems you're jumping around from health issue to health issue but your conditions are not healthy as is. Even if you were dealing with a properly set up enclosure, you have too many tortoises in one area for them to ever be healthy living in such a large group in such a small enclosure.
I am sorry if this sounds harsh but you're probably going to lose some, if not all, of your tortoises if you don't change things soon. Tortoises are hardy but having that many together is a recipe for disaster.

Mina Adel

The conditions your are providing will not give you healthy tortoises even if they were all healthy to begin with.
Did you ever treat them for parasites?
It seems you're jumping around from health issue to health issue but your conditions are not healthy as is. Even if you were dealing with a properly set up enclosure, you have too many tortoises in one area for them to ever be healthy living in such a large group in such a small enclosure.
I am sorry if this sounds harsh but you're probably going to lose some, if not all, of your tortoises if you don't change things soon. Tortoises are hardy but having that many together is a recipe for disaster.
No problem at all. I need your help
So what to do first.
I am a beginner.

Rue

Canada
Post some really good, clear pictures of your enclosure and your current equipment...so we can get an overview of what you have available to you.

I'm sure someone can then advise you how to modify, or change things around, so that you can make your enclosure suit the tortoises...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think the obvious things are

1. How much space can you actually give these torts? How many enclosures of at least 1x2 metres have you got room for?

This will determine how many of these torts you can sensibly keep

2. You need to treat all the torts with panacur to get rid of all gut parasites. This will take 3 treatments per tortoise.

They must all be treated at the same time to avoid reinfection.

Mina Adel

I think the obvious things are

1. How much space can you actually give these torts? How many enclosures of at least 1x2 metres have you got room for?

This will determine how many of these torts you can sensibly keep

2. You need to treat all the torts with panacur to get rid of all gut parasites. This will take 3 treatments per tortoise.

They must all be treated at the same time to avoid reinfection.

Ok I will do that
Thank you.
What about respiratory infection.
I have 2 torts don't eat for a month till now.
But they are heavy and one of them lay eggs

Rue

Canada
A respiratory infection will require antibiotics.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
You should focus on getting your housing requirements to a good standard primarily. Any new tortoise you get should be quarantined for at least 6 months.
But you definitely don't need any more tortoises.
I think you posted that you're trying to breed them but that will be very fatal for your tortoises. They're not healthy enough to breed.
But I would definitely answer JoesMum's question of how much room you have available.
Show us what room you have available for the tortoises you have and we can come up with a plan for you.
Pics would be very helpful.

Mina Adel

You should focus on getting your housing requirements to a good standard primarily. Any new tortoise you get should be quarantined for at least 6 months.
But you definitely don't need any more tortoises.
I think you posted that you're trying to breed them but that will be very fatal for your tortoises. They're not healthy enough to breed.
But I would definitely answer JoesMum's question of how much room you have available.
Show us what room you have available for the tortoises you have and we can come up with a plan for you.
Pics would be very helpful.

One enclosure of 1 meter wide and 2 m long.

I want to know how to treat constipation in torts ?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you only have space for a single 1x2m enclosure, I suggest you look into rehoming some of your tortoises. Where did you get these? I am assuming they are wild caught? How long have they been in captivity?

You need to deworm your tortoises. Once you get them parasite free, constipation may clear up on its own. Foods with higher water content, like cucumber, or cactus like opuntia or aloe can help but the parasites should be your first concern.

Mina Adel

You need to deworm your tortoises. Once you get them parasite free, constipation may clear up on its own. Foods with higher water content, like cucumber, or cactus like opuntia or aloe can help but the parasites should be your first concern.

Can I soak them more than once daily ... is that helpful ? In treating constipation.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you only have space for a single 1x2m enclosure, I suggest you look into rehoming some of your tortoises. Where did you get these? I am assuming they are wild caught? How long have they been in captivity?

One enclosure of 1 meter wide and 2 m long.

I want to know how to treat constipation in torts ?
I agree with SarahChelonoidis.

That enclosure is only just big enough for ONE adult tortoise.

You must find new homes for the remaining 19. You are not helping them by keeping so many in such a small space.

In understand why you felt compelled to take so many on, but if you want to continue to do your best for them then you have to do this. You will have deaths in this herd otherwise.

Mina Adel

In understand why you felt compelled to take so many on, but if you want to continue to do your best for them then you have to do this. You will have deaths in this herd otherwise.

Okay.. I will.
but I have to treat them first .