A New Update on red foot types

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I had some requests on an old thread I did on some different types of redfoots I have had over a decade or longer. So here is some new photos of some.

Venezuelan F3 12 year olds (Male on right Female on left)

Male on right female on left

Guyana WC male F2 Female( Male on left unknown age LTC 11 years, Female CBF2 12 years old)

Bolivian Male F2 (male is 7 years old)

Bolivian Female F2(Female is 12 Years old)

Suriname WC (Female is smaller one male is larger LTC 15 years)

Brazilian F2 (Male CBF2 10 years old female 8 Years old)

Should be enough for now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow the color on the Brazilian is beautiful. I can't believe the size difference with the Suriname, and the male being so much larger. The hour glass shaped ones, is that normal to that species or just something that happens sometimes? Also, do you still have all these guys?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep still have all of them. The northerns variety as seen in the Guyana/Suriname Wasteband or Hourglass when males reach large sizes. The venezuelan male didnt tend to wasteband as much as the others. But they are much older specimens. I notice the very different subtle features for sure. its not a key to identifying them at all. But I usually notice the venezuelans have circle scutes above the eyes, surinames have very pointy noses and solid yellow scutes and red legs, and guyana tend to have mixed orange cheek scutes and not as an abrupt pointy nose. Its very odd because the guyana/suriname territory is really the exact same. The border is only manmade. But I do notice a tiny difference in them. Either way I keep all my locales together, and breed these guys that way for my standards so.

And Barb. Thats Claude hes very old and very large. Claudette(the female) is 11"

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
christinaland128 said:
I've read in a few different places that their shells do that. Especially males. http://www.tortoise.org/archives/carbonar.html

They certainly do. Especially in the Northern(Venezuela, Suriname, Guyana),and North Western(Columbian, Northwest Brazilian). The Eastern(Brazilian) and Gran Chaco(Bolivia/Paraguay) do not do this at all in the males.

birdandtortoiselover

5 Year Member
South Florida
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396535228.048387.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396535275.347030.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396535376.646814.jpg

Any idea which region mine might be from? I initially thought Columbia but now I'm unsure

She (at least I think she's a she) is around 2-3 years old and is 9 and a half inches when I last measured (which was months after these pics were taken)

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
birdandtortoiselover said:
Any idea which region mine might be from? I initially thought Columbia but now I'm unsure

She (at least I think she's a she) is around 2-3 years old and is 9 and a half inches when I last measured (which was months after these pics were taken)

Yours appears to be a Columbian. Are you sure she's that old? That's very very fast growth. Even for a gran Chaco.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
tortadise said:
christinaland128 said:
I've read in a few different places that their shells do that. Especially males. http://www.tortoise.org/archives/carbonar.html

They certainly do. Especially in the Northern(Venezuela, Suriname, Guyana),and North Western(Columbian, Northwest Brazilian). The Eastern(Brazilian) and Gran Chaco(Bolivia/Paraguay) do not do this at all in the males.

I have one male Brazilian that has an ever so slight hourglass shape. Definitely not to the same extent of the northerns though.

birdandtortoiselover

5 Year Member
South Florida
tortadise said:
birdandtortoiselover said:

Yours appears to be a Columbian. Are you sure she's that old? That's very very fast growth. Even for a gran Chaco.

Well she was approx. 3 inches when we rescued her (and whatever pyramiding she has today has been that way since we first got her) and we were told she was a few months old. I don't know her exact hatch date. Do you think she's much older? When do they reach full maturity? About how big do Gran Chaco females get?

dubscute

Amazing! That Brazilian is gorgeous

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey, kelly what type do you think these guys are? I have four and all look pretty much the same .

Attachments

• 1396883080427.jpg
    1396883080427.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 283

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How can I missed this wonderful and beautiful thread? So much difference between them which all called Red Foot.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Hey Kelly. Did I miss your measurement for the Bolivian? My two just turned 1 this month. Finally took them out of their inside enclosure and put them with my Brazillians. Still acting like a nervous mother checking on them every hour. Can't wait until they get bigger so I can put them with my Columbian and Yellowfoot.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hey Kelly. Did I miss your measurement for the Bolivian? My two just turned 1 this month. Finally took them out of their inside enclosure and put them with my Brazillians. Still acting like a nervous mother checking on them every hour. Can't wait until they get bigger so I can put them with my Columbian and Yellowfoot.
Ahh yes. I forgot to put them on there. The male is 11" and the female is 15". The male is quite younger. Should see a good growth spurt soon from him I hope.