A New Server and the Dreaded Internal Server Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
As most of you know (and have experienced) we've been having issues lately with Internal Server Errors. It's taken some time to find out what the exact issue is but now there's good news! The problem wasn't an error in Tortoise Forum's code or anything that we really could have prevented. The problem is that we're outgrowing our home! Luckily this is a problem that is easily remedied! Today our host will be moving Tortoise Forum over to our very own private server where we can easily and quickly adjust the resources that we need to keep Tortoise Forum online and ERROR FREE!
There may be some bumps in the road that are a result of Tortoise Forum moving from one physical computer to another, but the process should be pretty painless overall. The best part is, we should notice an IMMEDIATE difference - FASTER page load times and ZERO Internal Server Errors.
The only drawback is that this does increase the monthly cost of running Tortoise Forum but I'm working on a small incentive-based program for members who would like to donate to our worthy cause. This program would include extra features, forums, PM space, and photo space for the generous supporters of our community.
Thank you all for your patience in dealing with this entire matter. And as always, please let me or any moderator know if you experience any errors or see anything out of the ordinary.
For those who would like to donate to keeping Tortoise Forum online: donate here

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yeah! Sounds great Josh. I hope everything goes smoothly. :D :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Should we continue sending you emails about problems, or how about you let us know when it should be finished?? I see your saying today is the big move, and I just came to sign on and got one, is it a long process?
Thanks for all your attention to this . Na

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Nay, please use the existing threads to report any errors you encounter. I put in the request to be moved this morning and from what I'm told, it should be completed sometime today. I will post an update when everything's finished.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Careful Josh, soliciting donations might be considered spamming!

Oops, its your site, do what you like.

Seriously, How can I help? Others may find wrong with your asking for donations, so be careful out there!

A while back I was thinking about donating some money to you, and get others involved to buy a Solartech Solarmeter 6.2. With that meter you could rent it to raise funds for your site. Rental fees might be something like $10/week or $20/month. Renter pays shipping, and puts down a deposit.

http://www.reptileuv.com/solartech-solarmeter-uvb-meter-model-6.2.php

If everyone starts bashing this idea, I think my head will explode!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know of one way you can help out josh cost wise, but since it might hurt him with a popular search engine I can't say openly if any of you would like to know PM me of course anyone with a popular search engine in their name, PM's will not be returned.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Everything has been moved over. Our page load times should be much quicker and there should be few if any internal server errors. Not everyone's computer will automatically point to the new server so it could take another day or two before everything is 100% completed. Please let me know if you experience any technical difficulties!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
woohoo

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
No news is good news...?

Status
Not open for further replies.