A New Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nami The tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey guys! I had a few questions about Russian 'torts'... I have had reptiles in the past and people in my family have had turtles but not tortoises.I'm getting one in a few days from now, as a early Christmas present :) So here we go:

A) What do you feed your Russian?
B) How big does the habitat need to be?
C) Are they friendly?
D)Is it safe to let them roam around?

Alright...we are actually about to move! We have lived in this house forever with our numerous pets (ha ha ) So, for the mean time we need to keep the Russian in a small area till we move, then it will be moved into a large area...possibly outside ( or inside ). Any cheap housing suggestions like a Rubbermaid container to hold over?

A) I know this question has been tossed about a lot but I would love to know what you personally choose.
B) I need to know the minimum space requirement, where better to find this stuff out?
C) I have had LOTS of pets in the past...such as 4 hamsters ( 1 dwarf 3 teddy bear ) whom, no matter my efforts refused my love ( haha) also a few frogs and a cat and dog. As you can tell me. personally have no experience. I'd love to own an animal that could be a long time companion.
D) Can it walk around my room? ( Of course everything is tortoise proof).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH :D:):):)

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I am not qualified to answer most of your questions about Russian but I am pretty sure its not healthy to let a tortoise walk around on a cold hard floor (think stress issues).

Also never let it have any contact with other animals, including other tortoise species and even new strange Russian tortoises that were not properly quarantined. If you do get another tortoise down the line think "avoiding cross contamination" of even the food containers and tort habitats for the proper amount of time.
From what I've read here, the only tortoise you can house together with your tortoise should be of the same species "Russian" and again the habitat, food and water containers should be quarantined. Some disease can lie dormant for years the attack with a vengeance like herpes in tortoises and other nasty viruses. Russian tortoises are known to live up to 70 years or more with really good care. Some day after we pass, someone else will be thanking us for practicing good tortoises husbandry.

Nami The tortoise

5 Year Member
Texas
papayapa said:
I am not qualified to answer most of your questions about Russian but I am pretty sure its not healthy to let a tortoise walk around on a cold hard floor (think stress issues).

Also never let it have any contact with other animals, including other tortoise species and even new strange Russian tortoises that were not properly quarantined. If you do get another tortoise down the line think "avoiding cross contamination" of even the food containers and tort habitats for the proper amount of time.
From what I've read here, the only tortoise you can house together with your tortoise should be of the same species "Russian" and again the habitat, food and water containers should be quarantined. Some disease can lie dormant for years the attack with a vengeance like herpes in tortoises and other nasty viruses. Russian tortoises are known to live up to 70 years or more with really good care. Some day after we pass, someone else will be thanking us for practicing good tortoises husbandry.
Thank you very much!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hello and good luck with Russian. They are one of the favorite tort here :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Howdy! :D I know you have been doing some reading, but did any of your questions not get answered yet fully to your satisfaction?

Nami The tortoise

5 Year Member
Texas
Jacqui said:
Howdy! :D I know you have been doing some reading, but did any of your questions not get answered yet fully to your satisfaction?
With all the wonderful information that this website has it has really helped me feel confident that I really understand everything I need to know, and hopefully I will be able to provide a loving home for the new Russian...so ,yes I found all the answers, thank you very much!:):tort:

Yellow Turtle said:
Hello and good luck with Russian. They are one of the favorite tort here :D

Hey! Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.