A new baby Tortoise, some help?

edd080

Location (City and/or State)
SN
Hi to all and thank you for such a great forum, we just got a baby russian tortoise.
For starters we are unsure what the sex is, shop told us it is a male but iam not sure.
I also noticed its eyes are not opening, i soaked it in some lukewarm water and it opened and closed its eyes, it seems to be tired so iam guessing it might need some rest?
Any suggestions please?
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 20200924_223114.jpg
    20200924_223114.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200924_223151.jpg
    20200924_223151.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200924_223209.jpg
    20200924_223209.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 52

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome to the forum. The eyes being closed is not a good thing. That's usually the first sign a tortoise is sick. Did they sell you the tortoise like that? You won't be able to identify the sex for a few years. It's not possible with Hatchlings. Also, I don't think that's a Russian Tortoise. Looks like a Hermmani to me. I could be wrong though.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Hi to all and thank you for such a great forum, we just got a baby russian tortoise.
For starters we are unsure what the sex is, shop told us it is a male but iam not sure.
I also noticed its eyes are not opening, i soaked it in some lukewarm water and it opened and closed its eyes, it seems to be tired so iam guessing it might need some rest?
Any suggestions please?
Thank you for your help.

I'm a new mom also, but my baby wouldn't open one eye at all. Im following advice for doing the carrot soaks (for vitamin a) and its only day 2 and her bad eye is already half open, and the other eye is wide open

Illinois
Definitely a testudo, but I don’t keep Mediterraneans (besides Russians which are grouped into meds but live way further East/north). If the eye doesn’t get better, it’ll need a vet and antibiotics. Torts are hardy, but I’d make an appointment if it doesn’t get better with soaks in a day or two.

you can also soak them in carrot juice and even unflavored pedialyte. I’ve done both, and it helps if my tortoises are ever constipated or won’t eat.

Illinois
Also I’d say they are too small to sex. They need to be around 4” and 4-5 years old, I believe ( someone correct me if I’m wrong)

edd080

SN
Thank you all for your replies, i will try the soaking method and see how it goes then.
I will keep you posted. Will also check the guides posted here they are very informative.
Thank you once again ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for your replies, i will try the soaking method and see how it goes then.
I will keep you posted. Will also check the guides posted here they are very informative.
Thank you once again ??
Read this for the current and correct care info. Most care info from pet shops is wrong. YOUR pet shop didn't even know what species they were selling.

edd080

SN
Read this for the current and correct care info. Most care info from pet shops is wrong. YOUR pet shop didn't even know what species they were selling.

Yes you are very right.

Thank you for the link.

I also wanted to update this thread...
This morning it woke up, put it under some sunlight; it opened its eyes and it is eating (gave her some lettuce for the time being) but all in all it seems to be doing fine :).

Will post some pics later as I am currently out.

I will surely be following your guides.

Many thanks once again for your great help, such a nice forum to have .

If the moderator would like to move this thread under the proper section (Greek tortoises) please go ahead, since I started this post under the wrong section.