A 'Must Have' book...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Does anyone have pics or links to pics of the offspring?
[/quote]

Yep. I have a couple of print photos that a friend sent me a few years ago. Looks like a redfoot with solid orange legs and an orange throat.
I'll take a digital photo of the prints and send them to you.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
This tortoise is becoming quite famous. It looks to be female... I wonder if it reproduces.

These are the shots I have... It really pisses me off I don't have a corresponding note as to where the photos came from but I'm sure It's burried in my emails somewhere because this person obviously sent me a first hand acount which I appreciated to no end.

Wierd head shot.

Carapace shot... Shape of a Radiated and the colors of a RF.

Then the plastron shot...

gummybearpoop said:
In the South American Tortoises book...they mentioned something about a redfoot tortoise and radiated tortoise crossbreeding...I forgot what page.

Does anyone have pics or links to pics of the offspring?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Ed,
That looks like the same animal I have the photos of although the two I have were taken when it was much smaller.
I bet it can reproduce. Just look at some of those multi-generic colubrid crosses that have been done recently.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Like I said... that tortoise is famous among tortoise fanatics.

I just wonder... as to it being able to breed... that would be a good deal of insight.

I've seen Leopardxsulcatas... never an offspring.

cdmay said:
Ed,
That looks like the same animal I have the photos of although the two I have were taken when it was much smaller.
I bet it can reproduce. Just look at some of those multi-generic colubrid crosses that have been done recently.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If the offspring IS fertile, it would sure mess up the whole 'Chelonoidis' genera thing, wouldn't it?

From a zoogeographical view- the idea that Geochelone was a species of tortoise spread through South America and Africa when they were still joined- the ability of the two to breed makes sense. It does not take a lot of imagination to see Radiateds and Red-foots as being the same 'body plan' shaped by habitat and diet over millenia.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
One kinda hopes it does turn out to be fertile.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
By the way, EJ, you seem to have started a rush for the book! It is backordered when I ordered it last week! :(

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Madkins007 said:
By the way, EJ, you seem to have started a rush for the book! It is backordered when I ordered it last week! :(

me too! I tried to order it 2 weeks ago and can't get it!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Sorry bout dat...

It's a good book on a currently popular tortoise...

I had to wait for my own copy...

carrilac said:
Madkins007 said:

me too! I tried to order it 2 weeks ago and can't get it!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This book brings up a lot of great points.

One thing I really enjoyed reading was about the fruits that redfoots typically eat in the wild. A lot of us have the misconception that when redfoots eat a lot of fruit in the wild, we think: strawberries, papaya, cantalope, plums, and all kinds of other fruits that are very high in sugars and moisture. This book explains so much about the diet of south american tortoises and diet is always a big controversy with all tortoises, but especially red-footed tortoises.

Does anyone know when that Spider Tortoise book is supposed to be released or if it is already released? I remember seeing the advertisement in the back of the Star Tortoises book by Jerry Fife.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
That's why I love this book so much. It is one of the most accurate accounts of the species.

I didn't know there was a spider tortoise book in the works.

gummybearpoop said:
This book brings up a lot of great points.

One thing I really enjoyed reading was about the fruits that redfoots typically eat in the wild. A lot of us have the misconception that when redfoots eat a lot of fruit in the wild, we think: strawberries, papaya, cantalope, plums, and all kinds of other fruits that are very high in sugars and moisture. This book explains so much about the diet of south american tortoises and diet is always a big controversy with all tortoises, but especially red-footed tortoises.

Does anyone know when that Spider Tortoise book is supposed to be released or if it is already released? I remember seeing the advertisement in the back of the Star Tortoises book by Jerry Fife.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
-EJ said:
I didn't know there was a spider tortoise book in the works.

I will have to check my book out tonight...I forgot who the author is. I think it must have been delayed or something. Hopefully, not cancelled.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It came, it came! I did a 'deep scan' and love it. I posted a review at http://www.turtleforum.com in the Herper's Cafe section.

Lots of good stuff to evaluate and impliment in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.