A member contacted me for help & I'm reaching out to you:)

Prairie Mom

Hi Fabulous forum members,

I was contacted by a new Hatchling Sulcata owner in MALAYSIA. This forum member is looking for diet ideas and I am asking for your help, on their behalf, for a few different things...

-They are unfamiliar with what weeds to feed in their area. If you have experience with weeds in Malaysia, have any ideas, OR if you are willing to do a search of your tortoise's favorite weeds and see whether they are found in Malaysia that would be so helpful!

-This member also mentioned that they have noticed a reduction in their new Hatchling's appetite.

----
***This very kind member had some reservations about speaking up out of some concern about whether they and their nationality would be accepted. I have assured them how much we love to have a diverse group of members and that we would love to see more members from Malaysia and other parts of the world. TFO membership is always eager to help and make new friends!!! :D -The forum member will be viewing this thread.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can only help with the http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp

Also to say we welcome everyone and understand if they have a hard time typing certain words or understanding English. We usually can figure out what they are asking. So please let this person know they are very welcomed here.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will be checking if one of my torts buddy know someone from that part of the world that may able to provide help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't understand we have members from all around the world. Even Iran.

Joo

5 Year Member
I am just south from him. all my adults and hatchling (Indian stars) are not eating as much too. I was thinking it could have been the haze from Indonesia's forest fire. I had this problem 2 years ago when the haze level was very unhealthy. Just my guess. I am watching my little ones very closely.

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

I am just south from him. all my adults and hatchling (Indian stars) are not eating as much too. I was thinking it could have been the haze from Indonesia's forest fire. I had this problem 2 years ago when the haze level was very unhealthy. Just my guess. I am watching my little ones very closely.
Thank you so much for posting, Joo :D I'm sorry to hear that the forest fires are affecting you so badly. I hope your tortoises stay well.

Joo, would you please share some of the foods that you feed your Star tortoises? We would be especially interested if you feed any local plants that may also be available in Malaysia.

Prairie Mom

I don't understand we have members from all around the world. Even Iran.
Yes, I agree with you. I have always been impressed with the diverse group of people on this forum and how well everyone thinks of one another.

Prairie Mom

Heard back. We're really appreciative that people are responding.

In regards to @Joo 's comment regarding the haze. It has affected them as well. This member says that they could not take their tortoise out on Friday at all "due to the haze, and they continue: " but it has cleared during the weekend so I brought him out in the morning and evening. His appetite dropped on Thursday and now is Sunday evening. He ate a little better."
---
So, thanks for your insight Joo! :)

Prairie Mom

Okay, so I've done a little research on the internet and have found some other places you may want to check out...

-There is a Malaysian tortoise facebook group that you could post and ask for help with weeds. Please come to THIS TORTOISE FORUM (TFO) for help with husbandry and enclosures etc, because I saw some horrible photos of wirecages and laundry baskets with tortoises in them on the Malaysian facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/TurtlesAndTortoisesMalaysia -Open community Malaysian facebook group

-This is a Malaysian Turtle conservations society. Maybe they could answer questions... https://www.facebook.com/TurtleConservationSocietyofMalaysia

-I found an older general Malaysian forum where someone posted the question about feeding tortoises in Malaysia. Look closely because they mention diets for tortoises other than sulcatas, but they do give a few plant names. It sounds like Bermuda grass and Hibiscus plants are easily available. Those are some good food! Banana leaves can also be fed as occasional treats. They also mention "sawi" among other foods/plants that I'm not familiar with. https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2684938/+40

-------------------------

And here are just a couple other ideas that come to my mind if you don't find the info you need.

-I have contacted the UK website"The Tortoise Table" and asked them for info that was not on their website or easily found on the internet several times. They are extremely NICE and well informed people. They have always responded quickly. Maybe they have someone in their network who can help you with Malaysian plants. Here is their contact page where you can give them your email and talk with them directly.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/contact_16.asp

-Also, when I have been researching tortoise food, I have often begun my search by typing into "google" whether a certain plant or weed is edible for PEOPLE. While it is true that not every edible flower or weed that people can eat is good for your tortoise, MANY of them are just fine! Beginning my research this way has really helped me to find good tortoise food and given me ideas for plants to look for and others to stay away from.

Here is a link to an edible weed site for Malaysia...
http://www.malaysiavegetarianfood.com/tag/edible-weeds/

GOOD LUCK!:) We're glad you're here :<3::tort::<3: