a little start of pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
got my new leo just a little over a week ago. so excited about raising him. i'm totally amazed at how quickly the white is starting to show up along his growth lines just in over a week since i got him. he's just right around 2 months old. my son took this photo of him tonight.

i've noticed that he has a couple of scutes right on top that look like there is some pyramiding already starting. i didn't think they would start that this young.

i have high humidity in my enclosure, have a humidifier that pumps into it on a timer. i also soak him every evening, but so far probably not for more than 20 minutes.

wondering if i should up that soaking to 30 minutes and if i should start spraying his shell in the mornings, besides the evening soak?
DSC_0015.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What does your humidity read? Do you know how the breeder kept them? If the breeder kept them dry, then the pyramiding was probably going to come, little anyway, no matter what you do. If anything, I would check your humidity and make sure it's up around 80 and make sure your temps aren't below 80. That's all you can pretty much do. Keeping him growing in the right conditions, will help a lot with the pyramiding. Incase you haven't seen them already, which I think you probably have, but a refresher read never hurts, check out Toms threads below. Btw, he's a cutie and its not bad at all.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks, wellington. i'll check my temps and humidity again and put them on here later. i have to get another temp deal. i share one between my sulcata's enclosure and my leo's enclosure and it's currently in the sulcata's enclosure. i need to get a second one bought. i don't know how the breeder keeps them. but, i got him from tortoise supply. they have an awesome reputation. i just want to make sure that all the new growth comes in smooth and that this doesn't get worse.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, tortoise supply is a good place. Not a worry with them. However, I dont know if they breed their own leopards or not. If they don't, they could have been started dry. If they do, then they would have been started right. There are other factors that can play in this too. If you keep it right, you probably won't see much more, if any and when he is more adult size, you probably will hardly notice it.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I think he is fine, mine has that as well and the new growth is very smooth. I think in a few years once he's nice and big you won't even notice.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
jtrux said:
I think he is fine, mine has that as well and the new growth is very smooth. I think in a few years once he's nice and big you won't even notice.

Yep.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its minor and your current routine should stop it. I recommend shell spraying 3-4 times a day. This has really made a difference for me.

Pyramiding can start literally the first day they start growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.