A little help

Mavysmom

Location (City and/or State)
Lorain
I have a northeastern box turtle and he is very young, my daughter snuck him home from vacation and I've been stuck between keeping him as I already registered having him with the vets and letting him go, its February now and we've had him since may I just can't help but feel like everything I do for him is wrong as he is only about oversized 50 cent peice he eats really good but is sleeping alot as it is winter but gets up and active atleast once a week. I would love if someone could just give me the entire run down of how his cage should be how his Temps should be what kind of flooring I have all the vitamins and he eats about 10 meal worms a week I would just like someone to tell me how to do it wbo has a happy healthy turtle not information from people or posts who don't own turtles

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a northeastern box turtle and he is very young, my daughter snuck him home from vacation and I've been stuck between keeping him as I already registered having him with the vets and letting him go, its February now and we've had him since may I just can't help but feel like everything I do for him is wrong as he is only about oversized 50 cent peice he eats really good but is sleeping alot as it is winter but gets up and active atleast once a week. I would love if someone could just give me the entire run down of how his cage should be how his Temps should be what kind of flooring I have all the vitamins and he eats about 10 meal worms a week I would just like someone to tell me how to do it wbo has a happy healthy turtle not information from people or posts who don't own turtles
Hello and welcome. @Yvonne G keeps and breeds box turtles. She'll get notified that she's been mentioned in this thread, and hopefully respond when she is on the forum again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The time to let him go has way past. It would have had to happen in the area he was taken and within a few weeks.
He is now yours too care for and to let your child know how wrong it is to take from the wild. Hey, I had neighbors that did it all the time. As kids we didnt know how bad it was too do.
Like Tom said, Yvonne will be able to help with proper care and set up etc.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I keep box turtles also. I have a small 3-toed 4 mth old, and a number of adults, 15 or so. My small guy is called Grumpyface. Every morning I get him up, and give him a nice warm soak, then after the soak, I put him in a different container with live worms, red wigglers, or night crawlers, meal worms, wax worms, slugs etc. I also cut up lettuce small, add wet cat food, a couple of berries, and the worms. They go after the worms and get bites of berry and lettuce. I would never let him sleep that long, he might get dehydrated, or not grow the way he should if he's sleeping and not getting enuf nutrition or exercise. Yvonne will comment after her nap, I'm sure.
Here's some reading for you

and a few photos of mine
Grumpyface
100_6554.JPG
this is where he lives, half water and the other half cypress mulch. I add rocks and stuff so he can't drown in the water by accident.
100_6543.JPG
This is Ginger, she is an Eastern box turtle about 12 years old. She loves slugs
100_6535.JPG
She soaks in a paint roller pan
100_6531.JPG
I have a number of T ornata
100_5988.JPG
100_5869.JPG

Yvonne will give you better advice, but no pictures...lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
May we please see a couple of pictures of your box turtle?