a little different approach to the same question hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Hey everyone! I have a different approach to the same worn out question so I hope it feels different!! Ok I'm back to worried new Daddy all over again, I have a seven year old sully that has always done great!! BUT just moved and built a new outdoor run for her. The enclosure is 25 by 40 feet. I'm in the process of daily almost literally crawling on my hands and knees looking at the pants, weeds, flowers and grasses! I have kicked up her grocery store greens and she had always readily eaten Timothy hay which is a good thing. Sorry haha, anyhow is there anything that she absolutely can not eat at all not even nibble on? I live in the northeast if that helps. It's just taking me a while to figure out what everything is! And it's amazing how something good also looks exactly like something that could kill her!! Thanks a million in advance!! :)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There are a lot of things that she probably shouldn't get into. However, given a large outdoor space means she can pick what she should/rather eat. She "should" know better and will probably stay away from the bad stuff once she takes a tiny, curious bite. When in doubt, take pics of the enclosure and see what plants people can ID.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They(the years of experience) do say they will know what they can and cannot eat. The biggest thing is to not purposely plant or feed something you know is bad. If you check the tortoisetable.org you can compare your plants to their pics.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
wellington said:
They(the years of experience) do say they will know what they can and cannot eat. The biggest thing is to not purposely plant or feed something you know is bad. If you check the tortoisetable.org you can compare your plants to their pics.

I have been on tortoise table like crazy looking and I have a few pictures on there! Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas can be ravenous and they absolutely WILL sometimes eat things they shouldn't. There are all sort of plants to avoid. Oleander, lillies, tomato vines... The list is long.

Sometimes, they have the sense to not eat the bad stuff, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.