A lil Hand feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
The pictures I am posting of me hand feeding Livingstone may ruffle the feathers of the purists in terms of responsable husbandry. I appreciate that hand feeding can habituate an animal and can be a detriment to normal behavior patterns, it can also lead to a nasty bite. However when livingstone gets to be a 100 pound goliath it will probably be a useful tool for motivating him.

handfeed5.jpg

handfeed4.jpg

handfeed3.jpg

handfeed2.jpg

handfeed1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great pics and he looks great. I am all about hand feeding. However my leopard is only 16 months and small yet:D

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Its quite rewarding to feed them by hand and starting when they are small is great. :tort:

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Absolutely love the pictures:) thanks for sharing! My favorite is the third pic with his mouth already open as he is still walking to get he food:)

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
TortieLuver said:
Absolutely love the pictures:) thanks for sharing! My favorite is the third pic with his mouth already open as he is still walking to get he food:)

Haha, thank you. Its soo funny I keep having to move away from him because he literally just keeps walking forward. The best I can do is get him to walk through my feet and back around, I really need to get a video of it.

Tortoise boy

5 Year Member
texas
Livingstone said:
The pictures I am posting of me hand feeding Livingstone may ruffle the feathers of the purists in terms of responsable husbandry. I appreciate that hand feeding can habituate an animal and can be a detriment to normal behavior patterns, it can also lead to a nasty bite. However when livingstone gets to be a 100 pound goliath it will probably be a useful tool for motivating him.

handfeed5.jpg

handfeed4.jpg

handfeed3.jpg

handfeed2.jpg

handfeed1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

[/

Tortoise boy

5 Year Member
texas
great pics u should use hand feeding to teach him his name if u decide to check out bigboy3293 on youtube he has torts and lizards that know their names

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Livingstone is a great looking tortoise. I hand feed my 26 month old sulcata too. Not all of his food, of course. Mainly treats. I will wrap cactus pads in radicchio and hand feed it to him. He has gotten use to seeing my hand. I can actually wipe his face after he eats a pile of Mazuri. Although he has nipped me a few times he seems to know it hurts me and tries to avoid biting me. He has stopped when he felt my finger and tried a different angle to get the food. He weighs about 12 pounds now and his bite does hurt.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
He is a beautiful tortoise, I can lead Walker to wherever I want him to go by just showing him food or anything that he thinks he can eat, apiece of white paper works I sometimes let him in the front yard for what he thinks is the best clover in the world and then guide him back with a piece of paper or a banana, He has gotten to big for me to pick him up easily.Anyway I think it is a good idea to hand feed the smaller ones, someday they will be big.

Status
Not open for further replies.