Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
First is first,
Vitashell- Whats the opinion on this, i dont want to use it if there is no need for it.
has any one heard of ectotherm grassland tortoise treats, and cactus treats, i have my tortoise on a pellet diet that we hydrate with apple juice that was reccomended by a exotic pet keeper that we know. i was just wondering if there was any opinions on it.Also is the Tortoise MONSTER diet pellets.

Then finally is the cuttlebones, i know that they are used for their beaks but other then that im kinda clueless.

and feedback would be VERY appriciated.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The vitashell is not needed. I have used ectotherm treats and the torts ate them esp. my stars which loved them, but I find them expensive and so only as an occasional treat. In Texas you should be able to collect prickly pear easily and I would suggest that as part of their diet. The cuttlebone is good as a calcium source. I'll let the leopard keepers tell you about basic diet as I keep mainly forest type torts.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't keep leos, but I would be concerned if all you are feeding is pellets. Most of them state they should be added to greens. I don't recommend the vitshell, I have not used the treats.

Here is a caresheet on Leos.. http://www.africantortoise.com/

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would not use anything but water and a soft brush on a shell. No need for anything else. Vitashell has a wax in it. Wax on a tort shell is not good. I have never used those pellets nor the treats. I prefer natural plant food. Greens, Grass and whatever is in the torts normal habitat in the wild. JMO

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thanks Everyone, my girlfriend was more or less the one wondering about vitashell, and with the pellets i use there is usally another food tray with some greens on it so he gets the mix of both, im tryin to establish some plants in the enclouser right now to get him a supply of greens that way also.

Status
Not open for further replies.