A discussion of turtle and tortoise evolution- ONLY.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Some really valid points were made in a previous thread on evolution vs. creation or intelligent design. Unfortunately, as happens so often, it got heated and wandered into religion and other landmines.

Can we try it without the hype? No "show me proof of evolution/creationism", no reference to holy books, specific faiths or specific deities. And no references to things that cannot be cited from a reliable source other than the above. (Dear generic deity, the other post was so filled with unreliable stuff on both sides of the discussion that it would make a great doctoral thesis to unravel!)

One challenge was to explain diamondback terrapins or another species. I don't know DBTs well but have read the snot out of red-footed tortoises, so here is a summary of what I understand that we believe about their history.

DNA research shows at least 5 major variations in red-foots, but only one kind of yellow-foot, and both share a lot of DNA with African hingebacks, and all of the above have lots of overlap in habitat, behaviors, general shape, diet, etc. Fossils show older forms of all of the above in specific areas in South America and Africa.

The theory is that as climate changed in the combined megacontinent, some tortoises (as well as monkeys and some other species) found a way to cross whatever barriers existed between the two regions- probably a long-term drought dried up a series of rivers, marshes, etc. AND had some motivation to leave their home ranges (again, such as a long-term drought). Shortly (as in thousands of years or more) after they breached the barrier, the barrier got worse (widened, got wet again, whatever) and stopped the flow which is why there are some but not too many African-origin species in South America.

So, we now have a tortoise that is a forerunner of both the hingeback and yellow-foot some 3-4 million years ago. Possibly due to competition for food in a fairly low-nutrient habitat, one group begins to prefer deeper forest, another prefers openings and edges (yellow vs. red).

Over time, the climate in the rainforest region has changed a lot- growing and shrinking, moving north and south, sending out arms in all directions to follow the rains and changing rivers, etc. As this happens, the red-foots on the edges find themselves cut off from other populations. The Amazon itself seems to serve as the main barrier between the reds at the north end of the rainforest and those at the south end.

Differences in diet, climate, selection, etc. generate small differences over generations- the southerners develop a tendency to average much larger, get dark plastrons, loose or never develop the wasp waist, etc. compared to the northerns. They also become more cold hardy, reproduce at a smaller size, and more

Changes in climate continue and create 5 main pockets of tortoises over time that are isolated by big rivers, mountains, dry plains, etc. and in that isolation, each group changes from the others a bit more. Three groups in the north, 2 in the south. Each group breaking off the others or the main form at different times that correspond to other evidence of the changes in the rainforest.

There is DNA evidence and fossil evidence that was used to create this picture. It can show change and movement- the fact that more modern forms and characteristics of modern forms are not represented in the fossil record suggests that change has occurred.

A young earth model would have to explain continental drift, apparently large age differences between populations, large changes in a large ecosystem that is slow to change, lack of evidence of the older fossil forms in newer rock layers, etc.

Partial list of citations:
- Vargas-Ramirez, Mario and Jerome Maran, Uwe Fritz. "Red- and yellow-footed tortoises, Chelonoidis carbonaria and C. denticulata (Reptilia: Testudines: Testudinidae), in South American savannahs and forests: do their phylogeographies reflect distinct habitats?" Organisms, Diversity and Evolution, 2010.
- Moskovits, Debra."The Behavior and Ecology of the Two Amazonian Tortoises, Geochelone carbonaria and Geochelone denticulata, in Northwestern Brazil". (PhD Dissertation) University of Chicago, 1985.
- Crumly, Charles R. “A cladistic analysis of Geochelone using cranial osteology”. Journal of Herpetology 16:215-234. 1982. JSTOR.
- Pritchard, Peter C. H. and Pedro Trebbau. Turtles of Venezuela (Contributions to Herpetology). SSAR, 1984. ISBN 0916984117.

Errors in dates, etc. are mine since I am doing this from memory in the middle of the night.

(Remember, keep it clean and nice. Just because we look at things differently does not make 'the other side' evil, stupid, godless, etc. and as a moderator myself, even one that has not been round much in the last few months, I will not hesitate to take action if things get past a very low simmer, on any side of the debate.)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So, what is there to debate? I think the "history" you provided may very well have explained how the DBT's or other species got to be what they are today. I think it's a legitimate topic to include one's belief system, including their theories whether it includes a deity or not. However as you pointed out, when people get heated up and start calling people names and/or curse, then it's time to end the debate. It's a shame that discussions or debates can't be possible because of this. It really takes the fun out of debates.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I still would say that the tectonics are the driving force behind the way African, S.American and south Asian torts have evolved-see the thread I set up a while back about it, not really willing to write it all out again.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-75656.html
Opinions? Indian Stars are probably the best example of what my theory is, judging by their location.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Madkins, good questions and some sound reasoning/speculation about how (or why) ancient tortoises spread around the various continents.
However, a topic like creation vs. evolution is hard to discuss without at least mentioning the Bible or the Creator, but having said this I will try.

First, your model of present tortoise species having a common ancestor or a few common ancestors is in line with the Bible (oops there I went already!) account about animals reproducing 'according to their kind'. The fact that recent tortoises, although rather different in color, size and shape and yet similar in genetic makeup only demonstrates the inherent potential for genetic variation given enough time. We see the same thing in humans and even dogs. Who on earth would have imagined that the various 'types' of dogs we see today all came from a single species...and yet they did. Are these variants a result of evolution in the strict sense--or are people too quick to point their fingers and say, "Look! Evolution at work!" when they are simply observing genetic variation and adaptation being expressed over time.
Second, if we are talking about Creation as described in the Biblical account, we have to keep in mind that an important concept found there is all to often taking out of context...i.e. the creative 'days' are not literal 24 hour periods of time. Clearly the creation of the cosmos, earth and even star tortoises took untold eons of time. The geological evidence of the earth serves to proves this. So the creative days mentioned in the Genesis account (which is accurate-- if also simplistic) must mean an indeterminate period of time, a creative period. When we say things like, "In my grandfather's day..." nobody assumes we are talking about a single 24 hour day but rather that we are talking about a certain period that could be many decades. Incidentally the word day found in the Bible outside of the book of Genesis can also mean different periods of time.

Also if we examine the fossil record of turtles, various types appeared complete with a shell. That shell may be variable in structure and shape--leathery soft-shelled, domed, or even heavily armored, but complete and fully functional. Many died out for various reasons over the eons but fossil turtles can be recognized as being turtles and not some other animal slowly having their ribs turn into a carapace somehow. This clearly speaks of turtles being created as turtles to me.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Check out Odontochelys semitestacea for a 200 m.y.a. turtle with plastron, but not yet a carapace. The only references I have require a subscription, but I'm sure you could google.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tortoises probably evolved from aquatic pond turtles of the family Emydidae. Tortoise lineage began about 65 million years ago in tropical forests. Testudinidae appears in the fossil record in the Mid-Eocene. Tortoises reached their greatest abundance and di- versity in the Pliocene. (Auffenberg and Iverson 1979; Pritchard 1979b; Van Devender 1986).
Ancestors of land tortoises probably crossed the Bering land bridge to the New World. North America has an abundant fossil record of tortoises, including many giant forms weighing up to 500 lbs. North American tortoises, including the immediate ancestor of Gopherus, stem from a primitive Stylemydine closely related to Hadrianus majusculus (Auffenberg 1969, 1971; Bramble 1971; Van Devender 1986).
www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_int/int_gtr316.pdf

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
zenoandthetortoise said:
Check out Odontochelys semitestacea for a 200 m.y.a. turtle with plastron, but not yet a carapace. The only references I have require a subscription, but I'm sure you could google.

Odontochelys was an interesting species for sure. If I'm not mistaken it is based on three complete, or nearly complete bony specimens.
Having said that I'm not sure that the discovery in China of an odd turtle like animal--or turtle with a highly modified carapace--means anything. There is no connection to the other fossil turtle of about that time, Proganochelys, which had a fully formed carapace. And there are no known animals with a further progression of the carapace. No Odontochelys related species or descendants. Odontochelys in my mind can only be regarded as another extinct animal that while intriguing in of itself, does not prove evolution in the slightest sense. It was another unique turtle that lived and died. Pancake tortoises, soft shelled turtles and other highly specialized species likewise are simply interesting creations--or species derived from other turtles. But none of them are turtles that sprang from lizards, or salamanders. Or far enough back, a random single celled life form that sprang to life by itself.
One of the things that has to be acknowledged in this discussion is that all too often when a fossil animal possessing traits similar to, but not exactly like modern animals is found, it is heralded as a 'missing link'. In addition, how many times have evolutionary models that were so deeply ingrained as fact, been negated by further discovery or study leaving scientists to admit, "Well, now we know nothing" or "Now we are back at square one"?
I seem to recall a recent discovery of human skulls (in Russia?) of various shapes and sizes that prior to DNA studies would have been relegated to wildly different species. Yet the headlines read "New discovery turns evolution theory upside down"

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hi Cdmay,

I'll take your last point first; I don't know why headlines are written that way, to sell copy I guess. Rest assured it wasn't documented that way in a peer reviewed journal.

"No Odontochelys related species or descendants. Odontochelys in my mind can only be regarded as another extinct animal that while intriguing in of itself, does not prove evolution in the slightest sense. It was another unique turtle that lived and died. Pancake tortoises, soft shelled turtles and other highly specialized species likewise are simply interesting creations--or species derived from other turtles. But none of them are turtles that sprang from lizards, or salamanders. Or far enough back, a random single celled life form that sprang to life by itself.
One of the things that has to be acknowledged in this discussion is that all too often when a fossil animal possessing traits similar to, but not exactly like modern animals is found, it is heralded as a 'missing link'."

I've spent too much time trying to educate folks that eventually demonstrate that they lack a fundamental understanding of biology in general and evolution in particular, have no interest in learning or even meaningful discussion. Instead are locked into their own dogma, unassailable by logic or evidence. I'm not saying this includes you, but I am saying that previous attempts leave me disinterested in trying again. The previous thread may still be around, I don't know. If you are interested, the information is not hard to find.

"In addition, how many times have evolutionary models that were so deeply ingrained as fact, been negated by further discovery or study leaving scientists to admit, "Well, now we know nothing" or "Now we are back at square one"?"

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about here, but I will mention that what separates science from dogma is the intrinsic concept that all facts and theories are always subject to the arrival of new information. This is a strength, not a weakness.

Back to the OP's narrative; in regards to the speciation from hinge backs and redfoot at 2-3 mya, what's curious is that as I recall, the S. America and Africa Pangaea linkage was completely seperated by the Cretaceous , 60 mya, or so. Do you recall where the 2-3 mya estimate came from, or addition detail on the LCA?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hello Zeno,

I guess this statement works both ways:
I've spent too much time trying to educate folks that eventually demonstrate that they lack a fundamental understanding of biology in general and evolution in particular, have no interest in learning or even meaningful discussion. Instead are locked into their own dogma, unassailable by logic or evidence. I'm not saying this includes you, but I am saying that previous attempts leave me disinterested in trying again.

You sound like the mirror opposite of me. That evolutionists can be dogmatic and that evolution itself requires a tremendous amount of speculation and blind faith has been something obvious to me for a long time. While I don't pretend to be an expert on all of the concepts about evolution or even science, I do demand real answers and not bombastic pontificating from academics.
So we may parse about various species and their relationships along the corridors of time, for me the big question evolution cannot answer is how life began in the first place. I have never yet heard a single reasonable (or believable) explanation of how the simplest protein molecule managed to spring into existence, then survive for more than a millisecond, reproduce into more examples of its kind, which then went on to form cells, which turned into living organisms and so on until we arrived at the point where we are now, with countless and incredibly different variations of living things on earth. Of course, I'm leaving a lot out here but you get the picture. Additionally even the very simplest, most 'primitive' organisms on earth are actually far more complex...vastly more complex... than pure chance could ever bring about, regardless of the amount of time allowed. Yet most (not saying you Zeno) simply poo poo this hurdle that cannot be ignored. I'm pretty sure I have this right but according to Hoyles Evolution From Space and Dawkins The Selfish Gene , the mathematical probabilities of such life suddenly appearing and surviving are 10 to the 113th power and 10 to the 40,000 power. Mathematicians say that the odds of something so remote as 10 to the 50th power (a 10 followed by 50 zeros) will never happen regardless of the time allowed.
Evolutionists have yet to answer this fundamental issue and while evolutionists like to go head to head with people who believe in Creation, they don't dare dispute mathematicians. Those nerds rule.
Do I know all of the science or concepts that evolutionists propose? No, but then given the facts I don't need to. I also don't need to know the Klingon language or the science of a Federation warp drive on Star Trek.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about here, but I will mention that what separates science from dogma is the intrinsic concept that all facts and theories are always subject to the arrival of new information. This is a strength, not a weakness.

You mentioned the recent human skulls that I referred to. I admit that I did not read any peer reviewed journal regarding them, but I did listen to virtually every popular network news outlet (NOT Fox News) as well as a fairly in-dept discussion on NPR's Science Friday, which is about as pro evolution an outlet as can be found. The guests and moderators of these programs admitted that the recent findings did indeed raise unanswerable questions about human evolution.

These are just a few things and I apologize to Madkins for straying from his original post about the relationships between African and South American tortoises.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
zenoandthetortoise said:
Back to the OP's narrative; in regards to the speciation from hinge backs and redfoot at 2-3 mya, what's curious is that as I recall, the S. America and Africa Pangaea linkage was completely seperated by the Cretaceous , 60 mya, or so. Do you recall where the 2-3 mya estimate came from, or addition detail on the LCA?

Like I said, dates were from memory late at night, so here is refreshed data. The original split into red and yellow seems to have happened about 13.3 million years ago (Vargas article. The article that mentioned the Kinixys connection was
- Le, Minh; Raxaworthya, Christopher J.; McCord, William P. McCord; Mertz, Lisa. "A molecular phylogeny of tortoises (Testudines: Testudinidae) based on mitochondrial and nuclear genes" Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution Volume 40, Issue 2 (August 2006), Pages 517–531'

They suggest that cavys, monkeys, and tortoises migrated from Africa to South America between 35 and 85 million years ago, possibly on strong equatorial currents. (I had forgotten about the currents discussion when writing the op.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Cdmay, you smooth talker, you've got me intrigued. Frankly, you had me at "bombastic pontificating" (awesome name for a band, by the way). However, out of respect to Madkins, I'll start another thread, as he specifically wants to talk turtles, and it sounds like we have amino acids to discuss, among much else.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Carl- no need to apologize as long as it loops back. Many of these discussions wander so widely into other areas that it gets really hard to track or discuss. The side issues are often fascinating, but should be broken out to their own threads. (Thought- might there be a value in a semi-permanent evolution discussion sub-forum where more latitude is allowed?)

Also, just for the record, I am a devout follower of a deity as well with my own opinions on faith and science. It is my strong personal belief that evolution, the big bang, etc., as we generally understand it, is just the way the deity chose to make things work... sort of a 'wind it up and watch it go' model. Probably the biggest difference between me and some of the staunch creationists is our interpretation of a handful of passages in our holy book. However, I am pushing my own thread guidelines here, and further discussion on this specific topic would probably not be helpful as it relates to this topic.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Madkins007 said:
Carl- no need to apologize as long as it loops back. Many of these discussions wander so widely into other areas that it gets really hard to track or discuss. The side issues are often fascinating, but should be broken out to their own threads. (Thought- might there be a value in a semi-permanent evolution discussion sub-forum where more latitude is allowed?)

Also, just for the record, I am a devout follower of a deity as well with my own opinions on faith and science. It is my strong personal belief that evolution, the big bang, etc., as we generally understand it, is just the way the deity chose to make things work... sort of a 'wind it up and watch it go' model. Probably the biggest difference between me and some of the staunch creationists is our interpretation of a handful of passages in our holy book. However, I am pushing my own thread guidelines here, and further discussion on this specific topic would probably not be helpful as it relates to this topic.

Point taken and thanks for the patience.
The theory about the split of red-footed tortoises, yellow-footed tortoises and hingeback tortoises is perfectly sound and doesn't conflict with the idea of creation one bit. My point is that these species arose from a common ancestor that began, or was created as a tortoise or turtle.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
" My point is that these species arose from a common ancestor that began, or was created as a tortoise or turtle."

This is fascinating. What is it based on?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have any science to back me up, but I've always felt that a hard shell with the spine fused to it evolved out of some sort of necessity...evolved from an animal that didn't have a hard shell with the spine fused to it.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I don't have any science to back me up, but I've always felt that a hard shell with the spine fused to it evolved out of some sort of necessity...evolved from an animal that didn't have a hard shell with the spine fused to it.

I'd agree, and I'd say Odontochelys is a step in that direction.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Yvonne G said:

mutations like shells or curved, serrated teeth all date back to the great "Arms Race" of early life on our planet. You know.... back when it was "Eat... or be eaten".

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yvonne G said:

I'm curious to what type of "necessity" would you think might cause such a thing? Any ideas?

zenoandthetortoise said:
Yvonne G said:

I'd agree, and I'd say Odontochelys is a step in that direction.

No doubt that Odontochelys is a unique animal, but linking it directly with all turtle evolution is far fetched. Without genetic or observable evidence we can never say if this creature would have ever changed into anything other than what it already was.
The truth is is that if Odontochelys fossils happened to get discovered in "supposedly" younger strata than previously found you could easily try to argue that they "used" to be turtles and were "now evolving away" from modern turtle form.
In the end it's all speculation based on presuppositions....not science.

Zamric said:
Yvonne G said:

mutations like shells or curved, serrated teeth all date back to the great "Arms Race" of early life on our planet. You know.... back when it was "Eat... or be eaten".

Isn't our planet still in a state of "eat or be eaten"?? lol I found it rather intriguing that we don't have a single poisonous turtle or tortoise considering the "supposed" amount of time they have been around.
Even though their natural defenses (shell) are better than most other creatures I don't see why other reptiles (lizards/snakes) have poisonous species but turtles/tortoises don't. Just a interesting thought.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: A discussion of turtle and tortoise evolution- ONLY.

diamondbp said:
Yvonne G said:

I'm curious to what type of "necessity" would you think might cause such a thing? Any ideas?

Maybe the zebra should have followed in the lions footsteps and turned into a meat eating hunter instead of turning into the dinner item?

Everything has a place and an order. Like Elton said, it's the circle of life..lol. If everything came from a single organism (that appeared out of no where) then why would some turn into the prey? Who would determine what can be top dog and what can't? Where would this new information to change even come from? If a turtle wanted to fuse it's ribs into a shell on it's back, how would it even do that? You and I as humans can't even grow taller than we want to. I can't add a third arm. We can't stop our blood pumping, or stop our heart. We can't do a lot of stuff with or own bodies. So what makes us think any of us ever did create drastic changes?