A Dirty Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchT

5 Year Member
Ok, so maybe it's just a dirt question. haha

I found a packet of mixed salad greens (arugula, endive, red kale, red and green romaine, and Salad bowl and Lolla Rossa lettuce is what the packet says) that I want to plant for the baby. I'm just looking to add to the menu I already have, since my husband has successfully eliminated almost every weed we had in our yard, his weekend missions since we moved here four years ago. I'm also planning on ordering some dandelion seeds, and a few other goodies once I can decide which ones.

What would be a good mix to plant these in? I remember seeing a few suggestions in one of my searches for something else on here, but can't remember what search terms I had used to find them.

Thanks.
Michelle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
At my stores they have potting mixes specifically for growing vegetables in. One of these should work just fine for you. I figure if I can eat what comes out of that soil, so can my tortoises.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Pretty much anything that makes it grow. ;) I've mentioned before that I get pretty lazy once the temps climb over 115, so when I plant tort seeds I just scratch back the gravel, throw down seed, throw down some compost and water. Takes about a week.

I prefer to make my own compost, but that's a long process. If and when I have to buy soil, my personal preference is to stay away from the stuff with added fertilizer and pesticides, but that's a decision for you to make. :)

So... in essence... whatever works for you, really. Lettuce-types are always easy to grow and shouldn't give you any trouble.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you buy dandilion seeds they will spread.. so dont **** off your husband.
Plant the lettuce greens for the tort and you! garden time! they also like squash leaves,

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I use the plain cheap bagged dirt and add tort poo for fertilizer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.