a couple more RF questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
How long is an adequate quarantine period for RF's (coming from petstores)?

How active are RF's in general? Makidash doesn't come out at all on her own. I've been trying to feed her at around the same time every day, and pull her out to show her the food. The last few days she's just run back into her hide. Today she did that and I pulled her out again and practically set her in her food, then she ate a little bit then ran for cover again. I don't see hide nor hair of her for the rest of the day. However Sasoy generally comes out on her own in the morning (varying times) and eats a little and wanders around for a good hour or so before going back to the hide for the rest of the day.

Is there any way to get them to be more active?

What is breeding size for RF's?

Okay think that's all for now!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
How long is an adequate quarantine period for RF's (coming from petstores)? It depends on what the fecal test showed. As long as it shows clean [ from both ] then a month should give them time to acclimate to their new habitat.

How active are RF's in general? This again depends on temps and how much light is in the enclosure. Too much light and they only come out when food is present. These are "rainforest" critters.. and aren't light lovers.

Makidash doesn't come out at all on her own. I've been trying to feed her at around the same time every day, and pull her out to show her the food. The last few days she's just run back into her hide. Today she did that and I pulled her out again and practically set her in her food, then she ate a little bit then ran for cover again. I don't see hide nor hair of her for the rest of the day. Let her do her own thing.. as long as all is in order she will come around! Remember we don't know what she is used to eating. Provide their "proper" needs and they will do great. They won't starve themselves. Those big "DOLL" eyes don't like the light! However Sasoy generally comes out on her own in the morning (varying times) and eats a little and wanders around for a good hour or so before going back to the hide for the rest of the day.

Is there any way to get them to be more active? Keep the temps and humidity up and the light low.

What is breeding size for RF's? About 10" on the average.

Different continents than what you are familiar with Kelly.

Hope this helps...

Terry

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The only thing I will disagree with Terry is quarantine period. ;) I personally with Redfoots would go at least 3 months and better yet 6 months of quarantine. WC and Farm raised always seem to come in with plenty of nasties. That and fecals need to be clear 3 times in a row to be clean and you do the fecals every 2 weeks. Then you want to get them on track and doing well before introduction, so 3 months is the least time I'd do Kelly.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OOO I didn't know that about fecals! Every two weeks for three goes! Okay good to know!

I'm having trouble figuring out which type light to use, because I need a regular light to go into the ceramic socket... not a tube light... I've just been using a 60 watt bulb (regular light bulb) on the farthest end from the hide. I've only been turning Maki's light on for about an hour, Sasoy I keep on all morning...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
egyptiandan said:
The only thing I will disagree with Terry is quarantine period. ;) I personally with Redfoots would go at least 3 months and better yet 6 months of quarantine. WC and Farm raised always seem to come in with plenty of nasties. That and fecals need to be clear 3 times in a row to be clean and you do the fecals every 2 weeks. Then you want to get them on track and doing well before introduction, so 3 months is the least time I'd do Kelly.

Danny

At the risk of sounding like I'm contradicting myself.. "good" fecal/blood 'tests' will show the truest results. And that does/could take a 2-6 treatment series. There's always extremes and exceptions.. and I've found that the "nasties" that a redfoot would carry is common to redfoots. And all guts do carry certain "bugs".

Not trying to confuse the issue. Better safe than sorry.

Terry

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
OOO I didn't know that about fecals! Every two weeks for three goes! Okay good to know!

I'm having trouble figuring out which type light to use, because I need a regular light to go into the ceramic socket... not a tube light... I've just been using a 60 watt bulb (regular light bulb) on the farthest end from the hide. I've only been turning Maki's light on for about an hour, Sasoy I keep on all morning...

Kelly by using the "flor" tube in the undercabinet fixture you can direct the light toward the end much better. Then you leave the light [ aquarium/plant ] on during daylight hours.. over the food dish. You may have to get creative to hang the 'tube' fixture.. but you have demonstrated your willingness to do that.

And yes you are right.. the light should "spot" [ not flood ] the end opposite the hide where the heat-emitter is.

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
LOL Well guess who is up and at 'em today? Today is "protein day" for my two. I feed Makidash first... turned on the light and pulled her out and showed her the food... both of these gals LOVE the Pro Plan cat food, and she chowed down. Then she went back to her hide so I figured she was done for the day so I turned off her lamp and now she is out and about wandering around! In fact, as I type this, she is looking out the side of the enclosure, staring at me. It's a cloudy clear rubbermaid tote... so I know she can see out a bit, but do you think she really recognizes that she's looking at ME?!? It seems Sasoy does when she does this! LOL!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
LOL Well guess who is up and at 'em today? Today is "protein day" for my two. I feed Makidash first... turned on the light and pulled her out and showed her the food... both of these gals LOVE the Pro Plan cat food, and she chowed down. Then she went back to her hide so I figured she was done for the day so I turned off her lamp and now she is out and about wandering around! In fact, as I type this, she is looking out the side of the enclosure, staring at me. It's a cloudy clear rubbermaid tote... so I know she can see out a bit, but do you think she really recognizes that she's looking at ME?!? It seems Sasoy does when she does this! LOL!

Sounds like I stumbled onto a system that works..
36_10_1.gif

I'm not so much sure that it's US that they see as much as 'WE' are their food source. Mine don't care who comes to see them...... they come running and want their head and chin rubbed.

Wanna see them dance? Scratch their carapace right above their tail..
36_12_6.gif

Terry

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Redfoot NERD said:
cvalda said:

36_10_1.gif

I'm not so much sure that it's US that they see as much as 'WE' are their food source. Mine don't care who comes to see them...... they come running and want their head and chin rubbed.

36_12_6.gif

Terry

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi.
What would you run for bloods?
thanks Also Redfoot.com for a website, from someone here was FABULOUS!!!!
Redfoot NERD said:
cvalda said:

36_10_1.gif

36_12_6.gif

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.