A Couple Aldabran Facts

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Do you think it could be sexual frustration(if that's possible for a tort). Is the animal instinct kicking in to want a female. I often thought this when we sometimes hear people say there lone my male Tortoise was humping a rock a shoe or a teddy. Does this not prove that it is instinctive to want to mate even though the male may never have seen a female. In Yvonnes case it wasn't a rock a shoe or a teddy, it was another male Tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you think it could be sexual frustration(if that's possible for a tort). Is the animal instinct kicking in to want a female. I often thought this when we sometimes hear people say there lone my male Tortoise was humping a rock a shoe or a teddy. Does this not prove that it is instinctive to want to mate even though the male may never have seen a female. In Yvonnes case it wasn't a rock a shoe or a teddy, it was another male Tortoise.
I think that is always the case. Maybe not humping something, but yes, their sexual instinct will kick in at some point and always unless altered like we do cats, dogs, horses, etc

keithsf

5 Year Member
Q. How can you tell if your tortoise is gay? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

A. When he's humping your leg he goes for 'the reach around'.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'll just say this. A certain Aldabra keeper liked my posts.
Maybe that certain keeper should get on this thread and tell his experience. He probably has more experience with this species than anybody else here. I think he would have something to contribute, more than just liking what someone else said. Come on, share your experience. @ALDRAMAN

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe that certain keeper should get on this thread and tell his experience. He probably has more experience with this species than anybody else here. I think he would have something to contribute, more than just liking what someone else said. Come on, share your experience. @ALDRAMAN
Not sure why, but your alert didn't show right.
However, if I remember correctly, he has had males try to mount another male, even with all those females around. @ALDABRAMAN what say you:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was evidently a one time only thing. He's never done it again. I guess he was just feeling his wild oats that morning.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Not sure why, but your alert didn't show right.
However, if I remember correctly, he has had males try to mount another male, even with all those females around. @ALDABRAMAN what say you:D
Well, it didn't show up right because I don't know how to spell I guess. I remember reading something about that on his thread also. That's why I thought maybe he could put in his five dollars worth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was evidently a one time only thing. He's never done it again. I guess he was just feeling his wild oats that morning.
Kinda like some dogs I have seen, male or female. While excited over seeing a person or while playing with another dog. They accidentally get in that position and the moving and a grooving just starts to happen

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Yvonne do you have pictures? If I ever move somewhere with better year round temps I would LOVE to have one

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Q. How can you tell if your tortoise is gay? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

A. When he's humping your leg he goes for 'the reach around'.
I can't speak for Aldabras, but my general experience is that male torts will "go all the way" with whatever is available if they're in that mood.

Joe mated with our drain cover last weekend. I have also seen a male Greek attempt to mate with the wrong end of another Greek in his desperation.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I can't speak for Aldabras, but my general experience is that male torts will "go all the way" with whatever is available if they're in that mood.

Joe mated with our drain cover last weekend. I have also seen a male Greek attempt to mate with the wrong end of another Greek in his desperation.
That's funny, I bet Joe had to rest for a while after that experience, he was absolutely drained. Lol hahahaha. :D:D Ok crap joke.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne do you have pictures? If I ever move somewhere with better year round temps I would LOVE to have one

This was two years ago:
Aldabran's mazuri 10-4-14.jpg

and this was BO last year:

Bo 2-22-15.jpg

And this was SO last year:

SO 3-2-15 c.jpg SO 3-2-15 d.jpg SO 3-2-15 e.jpg

He broke the fence to climb into the box turtle area, and this was him climbing back out once he realized there wasn't anything exciting going on in there.

My two Aldabran tortoises aren't as pretty as Greg's. I got them as hatchlings in 2000, and that was before I learned about the hot and humid method of raising baby tortoises. So they are pretty bumpy.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Nice photos,. SO realized the grass is never greener on the other side. Lol.

Taco*mom

I love your aldabras, Yvonne. They look so happy and full of stories. You must have raised them well!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love your aldabras, Yvonne. They look so happy and full of stories. You must have raised them well!

They are very people oriented, but I don't think it has anything to do with me. It's the species.

Taco*mom

Do you mind sharing stories about your aldabras being people oriented? I would love to hear them and so would many other members, I think..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When they see people they come over to see if you're going to feed them. You can rub their neck and head. They're not the least bit afraid of people. I've had to give them calcium stuffed into a strawberry from a skewer for the past couple years because they were both calcium deficient, so they've come to realize that people means treats.

Taco*mom

They sound like a lot of fun to hang with! Hopefully one day I'll get to encounter one up close and personal :<3:. Thanks for your story Yvonne.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Yvonne, my wife & I purchased two juvenile Aldabras back in September 2011, & rescued two others locally in 2013. My wife & I are both engineers, & we measure everything, including all 4 of them (weight, length, carapace, etc.). Would it be useful to post these growth rates for the forum? Our largest weighs less than 20 pounds so far, so they have a long way to go to catch up to yours, but they're definitely growing a lot faster than any of our Sulcatas!

As far as being people-friendly, ours are absolutely the same! They love to have their heads & throats scratched, & will eat anything out of our hands, except Mazuri, which they eat from a spoon. They follow each other around unless we're out with them, in which case they follow us. Even though they're still fairly small, we're teaching them to climb up on a scale, as I can't visualize picking them up when I'm 80 years old, & they're 350 pounds!

Ken