A bit worried about Sulcata size

Evy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I have had London for 13 months now and when I got him he was about 4 months.
The reason that I'm worried and asking for some help is London's growth. Not too long ago I was okay thinking that he was growing as a normal sully he has been growing in a steady rate if you ask me and the last 7 months he have been gained one pound per month.

What is my question you might ask? Well, I have seen and sort of compared roughly London with other sullies ( I know that every tort is different ).
London is bigger than most sullies his age from what I have seen or heard.

We think that London is a boy because his caparace (shell) is concave more and more from time to time. Is it possible that London is in the bigger size of the males?
He is 6 1/2 lbs and measures 10 inches long

Here are some pictures of before and now.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409293377.603366.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409293400.384157.jpg

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I can't help you with your question, but I do think the pictures are cute lol. :D

Reactions: Evy

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
I have a 6 1/2lb sully that is now averaging a pound a month so it sounds reasonable to me. Mine was a rescue and way malnourished. Here is my thread if you want to compare. The fact that yours is only 13 months old make it sound to me that he is growing very rapidly. I also have a 16 month old that is only 1 pound.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/funyun-update.88368/

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, I'm just a bit confused with the question. What are you "worried" about? That hes growing too large, too quickly? Usually folks get concerned when their tort's weight stagnates, or decreases.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is on the big size of normal growth. He looks like a normal healthy sulcata. Just make sure he's getting plenty of calcium and sunshine. Looks like you stopped the pyramiding too. Nice job.

Its too soon to know the sex. Its the plastron (bottom shell) that will be concave in mature males. A 14 month old is very unlikely to show this, even if it is a big one.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Looks good to me

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

(r.t)

Spain
Your tort is very big! But I think it should be ok, I'm sure that when she's older she will stop growing as fast, and after all sulcatas are very large tortoises that live a very long time. So in the end with enough time I think your tort will grow to a normal sulcata size.
:)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Greetings, I'm just a bit confused with the question. What are you "worried" about? That hes growing too large, too quickly? Usually folks get concerned when their tort's weight stagnates, or decreases.

My concern is about him growing to quick. Just for health reasons but size doesn't matter for me.
I love him either way!

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I have a 6 1/2lb sully that is now averaging a pound a month so it sounds reasonable to me. Mine was a rescue and way malnourished. Here is my thread if you want to compare. The fact that yours is only 13 months old make it sound to me that he is growing very rapidly. I also have a 16 month old that is only 1 pound.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/funyun-update.88368/

Wow! Great job ! London is 17 months old :0)) I think I confused you a bit

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
This is on the big size of normal growth. He looks like a normal healthy sulcata. Just make sure he's getting plenty of calcium and sunshine. Looks like you stopped the pyramiding too. Nice job.

Its too soon to know the sex. Its the plastron (bottom shell) that will be concave in mature males. A 14 month old is very unlikely to show this, even if it is a big one.

I'm happy to hear that Tom. All I want to know is that he is not in danger or unhealthy.
London has a cuddle bone inside and outside his areas.
Also he was a ramp to go inside his hide ( which is his previous inside enclosure) to the outside enclosure as he pleases.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409345180.632513.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409345198.048460.jpg
I removed the second floor and put it near the window with a inside ramp and outside ramp for him to go in and out.
He is very good at it.

Please Tim feel free to comment on it. My husband and I really value and appreciate your opinion.

P.S. Soon I will post a video of his enclosure.

Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Evy, that is such a cool set up. I'd love to see him on that ramp. The best of both worlds!