90 gallon . 48 L x 18 W 22 H

Location (City and/or State)
SPRING HILL
New tank for sulcata tortoise . Any ideas of what I should do for a top ?what Wattage CHE emitter to use , basking bulb ? Most important I need ideas for a top to keep humidity in. please .

Attachments

• 20211008_115908.jpg
    20211008_115908.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hope this is for a hatchling and you are planning on a bigger enclosure for what should be, when kept correctly, a much larger tort in 6 months to a year.
They should sell glass tops for the tank. However, it's not very tall for placing the lights and heat with a glass top. You may need to build a frame to raise the top so you have more height. A tube florescent for uvb, a spot or flood bulb for basking and at least one maybe 2 100 watt che for night heat.

SPRING HILL
Hope this is for a hatchling and you are planning on a bigger enclosure for what should be, when kept correctly, a much larger tort in 6 months to a year.
They should sell glass tops for the tank. However, it's not very tall for placing the lights and heat with a glass top. You may need to build a frame to raise the top so you have more height. A tube florescent for uvb, a spot or flood bulb for basking and at least one maybe 2 100 watt che for night heat.
Thank you for reply, it is a hatchling. It will not be his forever home in 3 months I am moving then I will building a loving enclosure in the porch and backyard. What does wattage need to be for basking ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
New tank for sulcata tortoise . Any ideas of what I should do for a top ?what Wattage CHE emitter to use , basking bulb ? Most important I need ideas for a top to keep humidity in. please .
That's not 90 gallons. That's a 60 gallon.

A 100 watt CHE will probably get the job done, but it depends on room temp and how well you close in the top. Only your thermometer can tell you for sure. Run the CHE on a thermostat.

Same story with the basking bulb. Try a 65 watt flood, but let your thermometer be your guide.

I know of no good way to close in the top of a tank like that. Aluminum foil might be the easiest, cheapest, safest (non-flammable), and most practical way.