8 yr old Sulcata soaking

Tortuga55

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Hello,

We have an 8 year old Sulcata and was wonder how often we should soak and best method. She does graze our back yard and often is caught in light rain or sprinklers (from city not well) which does not appear to bother her. We live in the Panhandle of Florida and this was her first summer having full access to our yard.

Thank you

Chris

20200114_163329.png

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hello,

We have an 8 year old Sulcata and was wonder how often we should soak and best method. She does graze our back yard and often is caught in light rain or sprinklers (from city not well) which does not appear to bother her. We live in the Panhandle of Florida and this was her first summer having full access to our yard.

Thank you

Chris
I read once (I believe from @Tom ) that it's recommended to soak them once or twice a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

Thank you

Chris
If the tortoise is eating cactus pads, fresh grass, and weeds, lives in a humid climate, plus has drinking water available, soaking an 8 year old isn't that important. I think once a week would be fine. Soaking every day won't hurt anything, but isn't "necessary". I use large cement mixing tubs or horse watering troughs to soak the big ones. Looks like you could still use a large kiddie pool or a bath tub indoors.

Tortuga55

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
If the tortoise is eating cactus pads, fresh grass, and weeds, lives in a humid climate, plus has drinking water available, soaking an 8 year old isn't that important. I think once a week would be fine. Soaking every day won't hurt anything, but isn't "necessary". I use large cement mixing tubs or horse watering troughs to soak the big ones. Looks like you could still use a large kiddie pool or a bath tub indoors.

Thanks Tom.. We use a kiddie pool now but would only soak monthly or so. She does graze the yard eating weeds and grasses, and supplement daily with timothy hay, dark greens, and tort pellets. We will increase the soaking to weekly.

Thank you!