8 New Babies from TOM! AKA The Bond Girls (maybe)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
That is by far the cutest burrow I've ever seen! If they're already burrowing at 5 months, I think you're in serious trouble once they're bigger! ;-)

adore

I think I'm going to pass out from cute!!!! I'm seriously having trouble breathing!! Ok it's getting better now that I'm not staring at the adorable baby munchkins. WOW!!! Just Wow. That much cute should be illegal since it almost killed me ;) ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The majority of the 8s hatched out a year ago today. A few had hatched the previous week. So I consider today their birthday. A few details...these guys eat EVERYTHING! They sleep on occasion. But, for the most part, they are on the move. Two sets of similar sized pairs tend to buddy up...ALWAYS! They love to soak...they love to climb all over each other. Did I mention they eat EVERYTHING?!?!? Well...it's worth mentioning again! They were kept in micro- biomes throughout their first year. They got to come outside during the winter...if it was sunny. They flourished. Their growth did slow down for a month or so...from November into December. I consider their success a dual effort between Tom's flawless incubating/brooding and the variety of experiences they discovered here. At 5 months, one even took to burrowing. As I type, there are three who take to sharing MONSTRO!'s burrow. This is, without a doubt, the most fun I've had with any of the tortoises I've kept!

OK...enough with the jibber jabber! Here they are...

Note: Prior to these photos, I soaked them for half an hour...so these shots are post-elimination!

I am almost positive that my biggest here is a female. She is 7.90 inches and weighs 3.5 pounds. That's one year old folks! TOP that! ;)
IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2247.JPG

Here male counterpart chimes in at 7.82 inches and tips the scales at 3.4 pounds
IMG_2248.JPG IMG_2249.JPG

This one is 7.29 inches and weighs 3.1 pounds
IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPG

7 inches on the dot and 2.9 pounds
IMG_2252.JPG IMG_2253.JPG

This one is a little lean at 7.39 inches and 2.9 pounds
IMG_2254.JPG IMG_2255.JPG

Another dead on 7 inches and a little over 2.9 pounds
IMG_2256.JPG IMG_2257.JPG

Here's a good look at my little 'dead-eyed' beauty. She's 6.73 inches and just under 2.5 pounds
IMG_2258.JPG
IMG_2259.JPG

And this one is the 'shrimp'...at 6.63 inches and 2.3 pounds +/-
IMG_2260.JPG IMG_2261.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jeez. They look like typical three year olds, only without all the normal pyramiding. :)

Well done sir. I wanna see them at five years.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Jeez. They look like typical three year olds, only without all the normal pyramiding. :)

Well done sir. I wanna see them at five years.

At five years will be great to see. We want to see the progression too! Thanks for posting your babies. We are loving them !

Scott Hager

Dallas, TX
The majority of the 8s hatched out a year ago today. A few had hatched the previous week. So I consider today their birthday. A few details...these guys eat EVERYTHING! They sleep on occasion. But, for the most part, they are on the move. Two sets of similar sized pairs tend to buddy up...ALWAYS! They love to soak...they love to climb all over each other. Did I mention they eat EVERYTHING?!?!? Well...it's worth mentioning again! They were kept in micro- biomes throughout their first year. They got to come outside during the winter...if it was sunny. They flourished. Their growth did slow down for a month or so...from November into December. I consider their success a dual effort between Tom's flawless incubating/brooding and the variety of experiences they discovered here. At 5 months, one even took to burrowing. As I type, there are three who take to sharing MONSTRO!'s burrow. This is, without a doubt, the most fun I've had with any of the tortoises I've kept!

OK...enough with the jibber jabber! Here they are...

Note: Prior to these photos, I soaked them for half an hour...so these shots are post-elimination!

I am almost positive that my biggest here is a female. She is 7.90 inches and weighs 3.5 pounds. That's one year old folks! TOP that! ;)
View attachment 170869 View attachment 170870

Here male counterpart chimes in at 7.82 inches and tips the scales at 3.4 pounds
View attachment 170871 View attachment 170872

This one is 7.29 inches and weighs 3.1 pounds
View attachment 170873 View attachment 170874

7 inches on the dot and 2.9 pounds
View attachment 170875 View attachment 170876

This one is a little lean at 7.39 inches and 2.9 pounds
View attachment 170877 View attachment 170878

Another dead on 7 inches and a little over 2.9 pounds
View attachment 170879 View attachment 170880

Here's a good look at my little 'dead-eyed' beauty. She's 6.73 inches and just under 2.5 pounds
View attachment 170881
View attachment 170883

And this one is the 'shrimp'...at 6.63 inches and 2.3 pounds +/-
View attachment 170884 View attachment 170885

Dean, how are you able to sex them accurately at a year old?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It's an educated guess really...because their growth rate has accelerated certain tell-tale signs. A few of the larger animals have considerably shorter tails than the smaller ones...anal scutes on several are extremely horseshoe shaped while only a couple have flared-out scutes. Ironically, or not, the flared out specimens are also showing a little concavity to their plastron

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
So! One week after their one year update...the two largest have all put on an extra 200 grams plus...the largest is at 1846 grams and the next is right at 1825 grams.

@Tom

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So! One week after their one year update...the two largest have all put on an extra 200 grams plus...the largest is at 1846 grams and the next is right at 1825 grams.

@Tom
GOSH!!! Those carapaces are PERFECTLY SMOOTH!!!! :)

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
Hello Dean,

Ive had my 2 sulcata babies for about 2 weeks and Im curious as to what is in the food they are eating. Is it ground mazuri with mix with leaves? They seem to be loving it and I have yet to establish a steady eating pattern for the little guys. Any input is greatly appreciated !

thank you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

@Tom

That breaks any record that I've ever heard of.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hello Dean,

Ive had my 2 sulcata babies for about 2 weeks and Im curious as to what is in the food they are eating. Is it ground mazuri with mix with leaves? They seem to be loving it and I have yet to establish a steady eating pattern for the little guys. Any input is greatly appreciated !

thank you :)
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I've got other projects that are cutting into my tortoise time! The Mazuri is now barely moistened and now more crushed than mashed...the green is milled alfalfa.

Scott Hager

Dallas, TX
So excited to have purchased the largest male and female from this group from Dean. Their perfect shells are amazing to see in person. It's going to be a pleasure to watch my 1.2 group of Sudans grow up over the coming years.

Dean, you did an incredible job raising these guys!