8 New Babies from TOM! AKA The Bond Girls (maybe)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
WOW!!! That's great!!!:):):)
I gotta admit, for ME, the IT's are DA BOMB!!!! :p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
As stated in tom's thread, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/ , and for those of you just tuning in, the 8s are siblings from Tom's experiment. While he conducted his experiment, I took on one of my own...which consists of several ever-changing variables. The only constant is that mine are housed (at night) in a basically dark closed chamber. I bring them out during the peak hours of sunlight...i.e. 10AM to 2PM. Occasionally, they are out longer...but not much and not often. I keep the chamber set at 95ºF which means temps will fluctuate between 90 and 100...and the only light source is a ZooMed 5.0 UVB 18" tube. All heat is generated by a Reptile Basics Radiant Heat panel. Any and all questions are welcome! As I continue, I'll delve deeper into, diet, hydration and what not...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
How do the shells look on your babies in comparison to Tom's group? Yours look like they have perfect shells from the pictures but I would like to still ask. It is shocking how much heavier your babies are as well compared to Toms.
Flawless...thanks for asking! ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These guys are on a pace like my Sudans were. Can't wait to see their weight on their first birthday.

GRohr

Wow @DeanS , those shells truly do look perfect. I don't have a sulcata so this is just from what I have seen on the forum but these look a bit more domed then a lot of other baby sulcatas. is it just me? Also, how long are you going to simulate them living in a "burrow"?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Wow @DeanS , those shells truly do look perfect. I don't have a sulcata so this is just from what I have seen on the forum but these look a bit more domed then a lot of other baby sulcatas. is it just me? Also, how long are you going to simulate them living in a "burrow"?
The funny thing is...this past summer...when they were outside, ALL of them were digging already. This was what I meant when sometimes I'd let them stay out longer than their allotted 4-5 hours. THEY WERE BURROWING at 5 months. I attribute their size primarily to the intense exercise they were getting just burrowing. Here are a few shots of one of them...OK, maybe more than a few! ;) @Tom
IMG_4326.JPG IMG_4333.JPG IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4338.JPG IMG_4353.JPG IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4382.JPG IMG_4384.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
@GRohr to finish answering your question...The ITs are still in the simulated burrow...so I presume I'll continue until they're (at least) 2 years old!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Those are some nice shells. Didn't get that on rabbit pellets with a red bulb… :)
@Tom NOPE! They came from PERFECT incubation and brooding...that took care of 90% of it...a damn near perfect routine took care of the rest! ;) Did I mention...hydration from the get-go! ;)

GRohr

I like the idea of simulating a burrow. Are they super active when you have them outside or do they still hide just as much?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I like the idea of simulating a burrow. Are they super active when you have them outside or do they still hide just as much?
More active than any others I ever had! But, they do get their share of rest when outside!