70 degrees in MN! Odin is NOT grumpy.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
For the first time since October Odin took a stroll in the sunshine, and boy was he ever happy!

002.JPG

There is his happy face!017.JPG

And his excited face025.JPG

And his mischievous face037.JPG

And, of course, his content face047.JPG

His playpen is pretty sad looking at the moment and definitely insufficient for his increased size, and, despite the unseasonably warm weather we are still weeks away from even considering planting.048.JPG

Which is a good thing, because he already knows he can escape, and he did. :)049.JPG

But at least he has a belly full of weeds and grass and got some real sun.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Taylor got to go outside a few days ago too! He had been extremely sleepy and cranky the whole winter, but as soon as I put him outside he zipped off to see what trouble he could get himself into.

how much does Odin weigh? it seems like he was a tiny little thing not too long ago and now he's huge!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
how much does Odin weigh? it seems like he was a tiny little thing not too long ago and now he's huge!

You are not wrong! Last weight was a week ago and he was 2.8 pounds, in October he was 0.8 pounds. Not kidding. 2 pounds in 5 months!
His diet wasn't much different, a lot more Mazuri than he had gotten in the past, and we started supplementing his salads with spring mix, but still primarily grass and weeds. Also a new enclosure with a lot more room to roam and a lot more humidity.
He is going top be a beast in no time!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Wow, that's even faster than I thought!
Me too!
We are revising the ideas we had for his new summertime enclosure, It is definitely going to have to be sturdier than we anticipated. On the plus side, at this rate this summer should be the last year we have to worry about hawks and eagles carrying him off. :D

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Yeah, he might just crush the current fence.:eek: Cinder blocks maybe?
That is what we are leaning towards. We are going to start checking out the home improvement centers to see what our options are. It is going to be a lot bigger project than I expected.:eek:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Definitely! My boyfriend and I are at the home improvement store all the time, checking out everything and thinking how we could apply it to the tortoise garden. Cinder blocks are pretty cheap so we may be utilizing more of those for sight barriers. You'll definitely need something really sturdy for the sulcata enclosure! ;)

I can't believe Odin's grown so fast! That's crazy!! Our Russian, Steve, has been quite antsy since we woke him up from hibernation. He got to go out on Saturday and a couple other days for a little while, and boy, was he ever catching up on his exercise!! I can't wait for spring and warmer weather. He just hates supermarket greens. He's ready to browse out in the sun!

It's nice to see the same tortoise statue. Ours is still in the front yard, where we're hoping to get our butterfly garden up and running this summer!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Definitely! My boyfriend and I are at the home improvement store all the time, checking out everything and thinking how we could apply it to the tortoise garden. Cinder blocks are pretty cheap so we may be utilizing more of those for sight barriers. You'll definitely need something really sturdy for the sulcata enclosure! ;)

I can't believe Odin's grown so fast! That's crazy!! Our Russian, Steve, has been quite antsy since we woke him up from hibernation. He got to go out on Saturday and a couple other days for a little while, and boy, was he ever catching up on his exercise!! I can't wait for spring and warmer weather. He just hates supermarket greens. He's ready to browse out in the sun!

It's nice to see the same tortoise statue. Ours is still in the front yard, where we're hoping to get our butterfly garden up and running this summer!

At least this year we will be fine with one level of blocks, height-wise, if we go with blocks, but I don't want to go too nuts with an actual enclosure, since eventually the whole yard will be his as long as he is here. I am leaning towards fortifying or blocking the chain link fence that surrounds 3 sides of the yard and starting to block off the few areas we don't want him in, like my vegetable garden. So many ideas!

I expected a fast growth, but not this! Honestly I thought we would have another year before we had to go with cinderblocks and fence fortification, but I can see The Mighty Odin has no intention of following our silly human timetable!
I just wish the weather would have lasted for him. The next day it dropped 20 degrees and has remained cool and rainy, if he was a little bigger I might still take him out, but I don't think that is a good idea for such a little guy. He is still only in the 3 pound neighborhood, which, for sullys is still just baby size. :eek:

One of the reasons I got the statue is to have a size comparison outside. At this rate maybe I would have been better off with a smart car.:D

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
At least this year we will be fine with one level of blocks, height-wise, if we go with blocks, but I don't want to go too nuts with an actual enclosure, since eventually the whole yard will be his as long as he is here. I am leaning towards fortifying or blocking the chain link fence that surrounds 3 sides of the yard and starting to block off the few areas we don't want him in, like my vegetable garden. So many ideas!

I expected a fast growth, but not this! Honestly I thought we would have another year before we had to go with cinderblocks and fence fortification, but I can see The Mighty Odin has no intention of following our silly human timetable!
I just wish the weather would have lasted for him. The next day it dropped 20 degrees and has remained cool and rainy, if he was a little bigger I might still take him out, but I don't think that is a good idea for such a little guy. He is still only in the 3 pound neighborhood, which, for sullys is still just baby size. :eek:

One of the reasons I got the statue is to have a size comparison outside. At this rate maybe I would have been better off with a smart car.:D
Haha, oh Odin! Such a doll! :D We had the same weather over the weekend!! We're only a couple states apart, but sometimes it just seems like a few miles. Darn midwest weather!