63 Dead turtles found in creek in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Daily Mercury, Australia-4/3/13- When Wally Keating came across more than 60 dead freshwater turtles at a popular Sarina swimming hole, he was immediately concerned.

The turtles were found in Plane Creek and the fisherman said he had never seen anything like it before.

He contacted the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection on Friday, March 22, when he found the turtles.

"There were 63 turtles dead," he said.

"I left three messages (with the Department) on the Friday."

Mr Keating said his call was returned on the Monday but he was on a fishing trip. When he returned on the Thursday before Easter, another 11 dead turtles were discovered.

"Something's got to be in the water," he said.

Mr Keating said he wanted the waterhole to be tested to see if anything harmful had been dumped into the creek.

"I've never seen a freshwater turtle dead and I've lived in that creek, I grew up there," he said.

"Anyone under 80 years old in Sarina would have learnt to swim there."

Mr Keating said he was concerned about people swimming at the waterhole.

"Sarina has a terrible record with water pollution," he said. "This is a new thing to happen."

Mr Keating said it was an incredibly sad thing to have happen to the much loved turtles.

Chief scientist at the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, Dr Col Limpus, said they were investigating.

"While it is not a frequent occurrence, strandings of freshwater turtles in larger numbers do occur intermittently throughout the state, for a range of reasons, some natural and some related to human activity," he said.

"Reasons for this stranding incident may be determined as the investigation progresses."

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I would think Australia is advanced enough that they'll figure this source out.

It will, though, depend on money and if they see this as a canary animal.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Keep us updated. I am interested to know what they figure out... I guess I could look it up just as easily

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Godcomplex said:
Wow what a shocking news, how come? If it is polluted it dont happen overnight

Maybe something was dumped in there overnight? I could see someone dumping illegal chemicals during the twilight hours....

The guy definately had reason to be concerned about his neighbors swimming in that stuff. I'd also be concerned about ground water contamination and the larger network of streams and creeks. If there's a contaminent in the creek, it could potentially spread to a much larger area, taint well-water, drinking water, etc.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Very unfortunate event. I agree ken. Australia is developed well enough to spearhead the cause. Thanks for posting.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Unfortunately, people pollute waters, land, and air. There's a price to pay for such pollution. Those polluting/destroying the earth WILL receive divine judgment.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
But if it was something toxic, would not it hit more than just the turtles?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
tortoises101 said:
Maybe eutrophication is to blame? Sad news.
But, correct me if I'm wrong here,eutrophication would have an impact on any animal in the river, fish, frogs etc. not just the turtles, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.