6 week old having trouble eating tortoise food

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi, I have a tort that is around 6 weeks old who is having trouble eating Mazuri Tortoise Diet. Before I knew how to actually take care of tortoises I fed her Lettuce. After I learned how wrong that was I started feeding her dandelions and stuff. For some reason I was having trouble finding stuff to feed her so I bought Mazuri Tortoise Diet. She just won’t eat it. I would feed her grass but I know she can’t have it unless it’s baby grass (I don’t know what to call it) and is super cut up. What should I do?

daniellenc

Maryland
Offer the Mazuri on the side and cut all her food supper small. Does your mom let you use knives yet? If not use scissors or have her help you. Weeds, grasses, and lettuces finely chopped. Get your parents on here I’m here for my sons tortoise. He’s 14 now and while I make him help as a parent when you allow your kids to have pets it’s your responsibility to learn and teach them. I applaud you you’re an amazing kid but you need your parents help too I wish they would chime in and support you!

Jaid10

USA
Offer the Mazuri on the side and cut all her food supper small. Does your mom let you use knives yet? If not use scissors or have her help you. Weeds, grasses, and lettuces finely chopped. Get your parents on here I’m here for my sons tortoise. He’s 14 now and while I make him help as a parent when you allow your kids to have pets it’s your responsibility to learn and teach them. I applaud you you’re an amazing kid but you need your parents help too I wish they would chime in and support you!
All I really have to feed her is the Mazuri.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
don't worry that he won't eat Mazuri. It's not necessary for them to have it. Just keep offering the fresh greens and weeds, but cut them up super small.

Jaid10

USA
Can I feed her Timothy hay at all?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Can you get a bag of spring mix (without spinach), soak the mazuri, and then stir it into the greens so it sticks to them. You can do the same with safe grass in your yard. Just cut it small and stir in the mazuri mash.

Jaid10

USA
Can you get a bag of spring mix (without spinach), soak the mazuri, and then stir it into the greens so it sticks to them. You can do the same with safe grass in your yard. Just cut it small and stir in the mazuri mash.
What is spring mix?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Cut it up small. And stir in mazuri and tiny grass pieces. At the bottom of a bag of Timothy hay, you will find very soft and tiny pieces of hay. You can use that. Soak it in warm water and stir it in with he greens. Your larger sulcata can eat the rest of the bag of Timothy hay.

Jaid10

USA
My parents might be able to take me to Walmart tonight. Is it sold there?

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah. They don’t have time and don’t really care.:(
Well then you keep doing what you can. Parents get busy and none of us do everything right parenting is hard. If it makes you feel better I texted my son to suck it up when his knee hurt at school after ice didn’t help because I was in meetings all day. I couldn’t leave today. He has a brace (football injury) but I couldn’t come home so ice and deal was my non stellar answer. Maybe they could peek in here now and then? Will they take a 15 minute call? There are keepers here in your area.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Yeah. They don’t have time and don’t really care.:(
I have the exact opposite problem, it's my daughter's tortoise. Not mine. Sometimes I feel like she doesn't have time, or care as much as she should. She is 12, and I think it would do her a lot of good to read through all of your post and maybe get inspired again. I think I may have told you this before, but if I haven't it's refreshing to see someone so young want to put so much effort and energy into their pet.

Jaid10

USA
Well then you keep doing what you can. Parents get busy and none of us do everything right parenting is hard. If it makes you feel better I texted my son to suck it up when his knee hurt at school after ice didn’t help because I was in meetings all day. I couldn’t leave today. He has a brace (football injury) but I couldn’t come home so ice and deal was my non stellar answer. Maybe they could peek in here now and then? Will they take a 15 minute call? There are keepers here in your area.
I’ll have to see. I have three brothers and it gets pretty crazy in my house. My mom has to take care of us all day until my dad gets home. My brothers are 14,7, and 1 and a half. She might have some time later in the day.